Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Unit 50 elk New Mexico

Eyeatman

This is my first year to hunt elk though I have hunted all my life this will be a new experience. I have tried to learn what I can via videos and just picking up tidbits here and there. I have tried to find as much info as I can about this area. From what I can see on maps it's mostly open desert looking terrain. Not what I would think would be desirable elk conditions to hunt in or at least not what I imagined I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole and neither do I WANT it What I'm asking is kind of what to expect as far as quality and quantity I have an either sex tag and I would like to a bull but I want to know how picky I may should be I would appreciate any info from someone that has hunted the area

Archery elk in any unit has a steep learning curve. I like you have hunted all my life. Elk is a different animal. No pun intended. I'm assuming you're archery hunting since it's an E/S tag. I looked into that unit a bit. Theres a couple mountains in the unit that I'd look into. I'd also look at any tanks around those mountains.

As I said, archery hunting elk is different. The learning curve is steep. Don't expect anything. You have a lot working against you. You have to define what a successful hunt to you is. It took me 5 years before I took my first animal, in a unit with more animals than this one. Archery success in 50 was 12% and 18%. 15 animals were taken with 115 tags. 11 were bulls. I would not be picky.

It's a tough unit. It's a lot of pinion juniper and relatively flat. There are some areas of deep cuts where elk can find cover and shade and water. This has been a very wet monsoon this summer. That is good for the animals, but it makes the hunt even tougher. Finding water is always good but is not as critical this year.

There is a lot of access and a lot of public land. The southern part is Carson NF and the northern part is RG del Norte Monument. There is good habitat but generally low elk density. I'd try to cover a lot of ground and find fresh sign.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun. It is a very beautiful area.

I appreciate the comments and thoughts I was wondering about the water situation I thought it had been raining a lot there Maybe it will work out

I didn’t do any good. I did eventually find some elk I would say stay away from the 3 mountains north of highway 64. That’s where I started and there wasn’t hardly anyone until opening day Opening day there was people everywhere Seen lots of elk along 285 south of tres Pedras but it was all at night There was elk there but I couldn’t do anything with them It was raining every other day last year so hunting water wasn’t any good for me either It was my first elk hunt so just because I didn’t have any success doesn’t mean anything. Good luck on your hunt

I didn’t do any good. I did eventually find some elk I would say stay away from the 3 mountains north of highway 64. That’s where I started and there wasn’t hardly anyone until opening day Opening day there was people everywhere Seen lots of elk along 285 south of tres Pedras but it was all at night There was elk there but I couldn’t do anything with them It was raining every other day last year so hunting water wasn’t any good for me either It was my first elk hunt so just because I didn’t have any success doesn’t mean anything. Good luck on your hunt

Thank you for your help.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back