Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A Marlin 30-30, Leverevolution ammo and Pronghorn.

dannyb278

So I was lucky enough to draw one buck and 2 doe tags for Wyoming pronghorn this year. It got me thinking (never a good idea), I have yet to take big game with my Marline 30-30 lever action 336 Stainless. I was wondering if anyone here has taken a open sight, lever action gun out hunting for pronghorn, and/or if you have any experience with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo.

Here is what I am thinking. I will likely use my Rem 25-06 as my primary, but would like to bring the 30-30 along for an opportunity should it present itself. Last year I low crawled within 125 yards of about 25 bedded pronghorn, just to see if I could. At that range, I am pretty darn accurate with my Marlin.

While I haven't fired any rounds yet, I am thinking about trying the Leverevolution ammo for a bit of increased accuracy, depending how the preform in my gun.

I will be hunting on foot, and not from a blind.

Anybody on here have any advice/comments on that round, or experience hunting pronghorn with a lever action? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

I can't speak to the antelope stalking question, but can speak to the question of whether a Marlin 336 shooting Leverevolution bullets can kill a thin skinned 120 lb animal at under 200yds. And the simple answer is, yes.

The factory 140 grain Leverevolution loads have a B.C. of .277 and a muzzle velocity of 2465fps. That gives you a 233 yards Maximum Point Blank Range with 1,040 ftlbs of terminal energy. Plenty to do the job. At this point, my concern wouldn't be the rifle or the bullet, but whether my eye sight was good enough for a clean iron sights shot at 200 yds on a relatively small target (mine is not). So for me, if I felt like I could consistently get within 200 yards of a 'lope I would definitely use my scoped 336 (but instead I will leave it at home for MN whitetails and black bear and bring a .243 as my backup), but would pass if I had to do with iron sights.

Last edited:
Taking an antelope with a 30-30 is quite possible depending in the situation. The 30-30 is very capable within it's limitations. I killed my last antelope at about 125 yards as I was hiding in some alfalfa rolls so my 7RM was un-needed.

I always take my 30-30 along on hunts as a 3rd back up rifle. In case it's raining or really foggy, it's nice to have iron sights and not have to rely on a scope. I still haven't drawn blood with mine other than a couple of rabbits and a coyote, but it's well past due to come out as a primary rifle. There's just something cool about a level gun with iron sights..nostalgia :cool:

Here is what I learned when switching from my compound bow to my traditional bows. Leave the 25-06 at home! I practiced and got really good with my recurve and long bow and when archery season came I grabbed my compound bow and left the traditional bow in the rack. I just thought "what if a buck was in compound range but can't get him into recurve range?" I finally had to just say some deer are going to have to walk. It was tough but the reward is worth it.

Out of the last 10 Antelope I've shoot 7 of those have been 50 yards or less. I don't know why you couldn't get it done with a 30-30. Heck Iv'e shot the last few with the muzzloader just to add to the hunt.

....There's just something cool about a level gun with iron sights..nostalgia :cool:

That is certainly a big part of it. I plan on keeping iron sights on it as long as my eyes can still hit pie plate at 100 yards.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm definitely going to bring it along. need to finds some time to try out that ammo as well. Only shot Rem Core-Lokt so far.

It'll work fine within range. I like the idea. Plan on using my 336 for javelina this year.

I say do it. I am still kicking around the idea of taking my moose this year with my .444 Marlin. I put a Williams peep sight and swapped out the front sight with a Williams Fire sight.

If it is coming down to the wire, you can always pull out the .25-06.

I'm planning on doing the same this year. Gonna bring the 30-30 along as a backup for my doe antelope tag. If I fill my deer tag early and have a few days I'm going to give it a try. Last year we were less than 100 yards from quite A few does and we weren't even trying to get close to them. Good luck!!

I use a scope (1.5-4.5x) because my eyes are getting old. Bear, deer, and moose have all been taken. My 336 is accurate out to 300. Maybe I'll bring mine West this year.

I've killed several large bears, whitetail bucks, blacktail bucks and a grey wolf with mine shooting the leverevolution ammo. I prefer a Scout scope to open sights due to short range vision.

Why not just shoot the corelokts? They are a killing bullet IMO. Before I knew better I shot lots of game with them, and I bet they are still killing lots of big deer in places like Maine. My suspicion is that my eyes would be the limiting factor long before ballistics.

I use a scope (1.5-4.5x) because my eyes are getting old. Bear, deer, and moose have all been taken. My 336 is accurate out to 300. Maybe I'll bring mine West this year.

You're taking animals at 300 yards with a 30-30?
At 300 yards a 150 grain bullet is only hitting with 565 ft lbs of energy and with a 170 grain bullet it hit with only 720 ft lbs of energy. Would the bullet even expand at about 1300 fps? Not to even mention the rainbow trajectory at that range.
Don't get me wrong because I know the good old 30-30 is quite a killer within its limitations.

Nope. Other than a woodchuck. Lol. Longest about 248 on a whitetail that field dressed 250 on the dot. But used to shoot paper all the time at 300.

Glad I found this thread, I have been considering using my 30-30 in the Chattahoochee National Forest this year for deer, hog, and bear. It is dense forests in the Appalachian foothills. Also considering a scope just not sure which one.

My old Marlin has killed a bunch of deer. I have a vx1 2-7 with the heavy duplex on it and keep it sighted in with 170gr core-lokts. I feel like 150yds is pushing it and 200yds is my max limit. I still love that little rifle and it's a joy to carry in the mountains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back