Best prices on tires in SW Montana

The whole tire. Some say it decreases tread life. I day BS. mtmuley
If you drive like a jackass on gravel they will chunk out really fast. How deep do you have them siped? I'm assuming you have it done a couple of times over the life of the tire?

'03 Tundra, good suspension and steering components, aligned when tires were new - I put siped ST Maxx's on.
Traction was fine over two winters, I had other tires on for summer driving. However, after those two winters, in which my mileage totaled about 8000 miles - some pretty impressive wear on these things for the amount of mileage. Siping was a bit shallow, after these two winters, it was all but gone.
I have since ran them for summer only for two years - about another 6000 miles - even more shoulder and lug wear, summers mostly on blacktop, relatively little gravel.
Now about 15000 total miles on them and I think the wear is excessive for the use.
Even though they performed well in crap conditions, due to the above, I don't think I'd buy them again.

If you drive like a jackass on gravel they will chunk out really fast. How deep do you have them siped? I'm assuming you have it done a couple of times over the life of the tire?

Only siped once. Our local electric co-op uses them. I'm too old to drive like a jackass anymore. As said, two sets so far. I haven't noticed any trouble like the previous poster claims. mtmuley

LOL, I guess siped tires aren't for me.

It all depends on the gravel too. My county rd to the hwy is small rock. Lots of volcanics in it.
It cuts everyones tires up,the jackasses that go faster than 30 even faster.
The finer siped the quicker wear.
That & they don'y make things to last anymore. Poor quality rubber IMHO.
I'll be going with the Kendas or Cooper AT Max come summer.I found both in 17's for my F150.

The company I work for had a project on a remote ranch in Wyoming. There are two ways in. 20 some miles of gravel in one way, and over 50 mIles of dirt and gravel in the other. They were using the ST Maxx on the ranch trucks. Looked to me like they were holding up well in spite of all gravel and rock travel, mostly in 4 wheel drive. mtmuley

Those are what are on most ranch & outfitter trucks here for more than a year ,the ST Maxx Coopers & Kendas.
Or Kevlar tires.

I've been really surprised with my General Grabber AT2s. I have 20,000 miles on them so far and they look like new. Really good grip off road as well as on ice so far. They only ran me about $130/tire in 31x10.5 on my Xterra. Haven't effected my gas mileage as far as I can tell after switching from road tires.

Ordered the 10 ply Kendas for the F150 today, as they were almost $100 a tire less than the Cooper SST Max or AT3.
That & I have 3yrs on same tire on my Tacoma & there is still 1/2" tread left & not all cut up.
I'll keep the Geolanders as backups or long trip use.

So far best tires for NM dirt roads I have seen is Coopers,Kendas and the Kevlar Duratracs. Getting more than 2 yrs out of any is good.

Around $50 at Wally World...free rotation after they do the mounting. The local tire shops are gouge masters. I saved hundreds by using Discount tires Direct.

I was at a local place when I heard the shop manager quote $340+ for 4 tires. I said man I wish I could get 4 new tires mounted that cheap. He said the caller bought them online and that was just for installation. I ended up buying 5 new 8 ply tires for my Ford Explorer for $97 apiece thru eBay. Got free shipping too. Also, eBay is offering lots of discounts up to $100. Also bought a spare used wheel cheap. Cost me $18 plus tax each to have them installed at a local service station. The other place was ok when I'd just bought 4 new wheels and tires for our van from them because we needed quick service, but the Explorer isn't worth wasting good money on.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back