Can someone explain WY General Tags?

Hi All,
I'm trying to get a better understanding of how this system works. I've searched and searched and looked through the forums and can't find anything recent that explains this (clearly, at least). So, I have seen multiple places to not "waste" many preference points on a general tag. If I get a general tag can I use it in ANY unit? I have so many questions haha. Any help is appreciated!

Assuming you're a non resident there are many units you can hunt with a general tag, but not all. If you look at this brochure from page 30 you'll see which units can be hunted with a General tag.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH5_BROCHURE.pdf

The advice not to waste points on a gen tag just means if you've got more than 2 points you can probably draw a unit that may be better than a general tag.

Thanks! If I'm understanding this correctly, if I draw a general tag I can hunt any area thats designated as general, right? So I could hunt Day 1 in unit 3 and then the next day move to unit 36?

Correct. Unlike the deer tags in Wyoming, general elk tags are valid in any elk unit that has a "general" season.

Um, did you try calling the WY DNR? THey are usually pretty helpful and have answers for questions like this. :)

yes that is correct,,you can pick around 50 different hunt units with varying dates,varying public access,just wilderness is off limits to a non res without a guide,,so that cuts down some of the units for a non res d I y,but still a lot of options

I hope he doesn't try to call them because there is no DNR in WY. It's the G&F out there and he already had his question answered nicely and correctly on this thread.

DNR, G&F....you can split hairs all you want...you know what I meant. Maybe they did call and did not get the right answer, who knows. I'm not sure why anyone would trust the internet people over the trusted source for the state :)

Last edited:
I hope he doesn't try to call them because there is no DNR in WY. It's the G&F out there and he already had his question answered nicely and correctly on this thread.

That's what I was thinking! Thanks everyone for the help.

So from reading the regulations a non- resident can draw a general tag with one point. Is this correct?

Yes 1 PP in the special draw and 2 PP in the regular draw took home general tags this year.

So from reading the regulations a non- resident can draw a general tag with one point. Is this correct?

They get harder to draw every year, but this year everyone with 1 point got a general tag in the special draw.

I'm anxious to see what next year's price increase will do to draw odds, especially in the special elk draw. I predict that a lot of people will drop down to the regular draw, but we'll have to wait and see.

Are the wyoming general areas really that good? Good to me is being able to find and see elk, with the realistic chance at a 280" class 6points. If your willing to pass up the smaller bulls and possibly eat tag soup is this realistic?
Seems that everyone I talk too tell me they pass up bulls fairly frequent. To me this almost sounds to good to be true. What is the truth from those that have hunted it?

We hunt general area most every year. While we do not bring home giants every year we mainly hunt the archery season in general areas, then move on to some private access for cow elk.
Usually only pass up spikes, raghorns taste too good to pass up. We hunt for food so whether a bull scores 280 or 300 makes no difference to us. Some nice big bulls come out of general areas every year around this part of the state but you have to work for them, get away from the other hunters and roads.
General areas do not get covered in orange like Colorado, hunter numbers are lower in Wyoming but plenty of hunters out there.
Finding big bulls sometimes isn't the hard part but getting close to a pressured big bull is.
Do we take bulls every year, no but hunting general areas is still enjoyable.

So I'm understanding that the general elk tag works for all units with a general season. Is there a general deer tag that works like that also

Yes on elk, NR general deer tags are for valid for certain regions and the general areas within them, not statewide, residents can hunt any general deer area with a general tag statewide.

To the OP, one of the interesting things that plays out with the General units is some of the General units get hit hard because of where they are. So when you ask about the quality of the animals, I would say some general units get a lot of pressure and some get none at all despite being a general unit.

The general unit is managed for opportunity, but that opportunity is not uniform. Some zones are general and offer a great late season hunt while other units are laid out better for a high country hunt. There is still some research and sorting to do once you draw the tag.

2 points guaranteed a General tag this year, but that has been slowly creeping up. As someone else mentioned, the price hike will definitely sort out some things in the next 2-3 years.

Old thread. Anyone know off the top of your head what it took for a NR to get a general tag this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back