Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Camo and UV Reflection

Jksprint

I've been reading a bunch about UV reflection and that ungulates don't have the same UV filter that human eyes have. First Lite has been using UV treated/dead fabrics for their camo. The idea being that certain colors basically cause some camo to glow in a deer or elk's eyes. I just spent a bunch on new Subalpine camo this year and took it into the closet with my daughter's cheap UV pen light and it lights up like a Christmas tree. But the flip side is I've seen it work remarkably well while hunting.
Does anyone have any info about UV reflection and whether it's something we should be concerned with? Does anyone treat their Subalpine with UV killer or is all this a bunch of baloney? Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
Can't say if it works for sure but we have treated with the uv blocker. Not expensive and if it helps that's great, mainly used it on my new orange hat and vest and bright new camo, patterns with white in it.
Wash with the right detergent also, no uv brighteners, that may help more than the treatment.

I'm probably just over thinking it. But the video's I've seen and trying the UV light seem to illustrate the idea well. There's a you tube video saying just the wash doesn't kill the UV, just eliminates new fighters that are in common detergents. Makes it sound like the UV killer is most important. Has anyone else looked into this? Anyone know if Sitka taken UV into consideration with their patterns? And there's a podcast on Hunt Backcountry with the designer at Veil camo that discussed it. IDK

UV Killer just another crap product for hunters to buy. People who say it works simply believe it works. Just like the garbage camo from HECS.
Animals will pick up your movement immediately whether you are wearing camo or not.

UV Killer just another crap product for hunters to buy. People who say it works simply believe it works. Just like the garbage camo from HECS.
Animals will pick up your movement immediately whether you are wearing camo or not.

I agree.
Relative to humans, deer have a low density of cones that are sensitive to color.
The shortest wavelength photopigments in deer is 450-460 nm while
UV is less than 400nm.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1279&context=icwdm_usdanwrc

Birds can see in the near-UV 320-400nm, including mallards,
so if your a duck hunter...
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1034/j.1600-0706.2002.980315.x/full

Back