Meat and Heads - Wyoming to Colorado

3855WIN

My son is in school in the Denver area. After our Wyoming antelope hunt, I'd like to be able to leave the heads with a taxi around Denver to be European mount or boiling out the skull. I'd also like to have the meat processed in the Denver area. Any problems with this?

Good luck finding a decent processor, I've been living in Denver for 2 years after moving from Montana and haven't found anyone who doesn't have terrible reviews in the metro area so I've been taking my meat to a western slope shop. With regard to taxidermists there are some great ones in the Denver area although you are going to pay city prices $200-300 for an antelope. I would recommend finding something in Wyoming and having your son drive up and grab them.

By a turkey fryer and due the head yourself if you can't take the dryer home give it to your son it's easy and cheap:cool:

Antelope are not a cwd animal so no restrictions on them moving across state lines.
We do have some good processors up here and taxidermists. You could leave both at one near the state line and without a time crunch on the processing they may even age it a bit for you and freeze after. Then he could pick both up when the skull is ready.

By a turkey fryer and due the head yourself if you can't take the dryer home give it to your son it's easy and cheap:cool:

Not easy. A real pain in the ass and they stink. I've done deer. I just remember something about popping off the sheath and putting them back on later. Is that what happens?

I've done my own euro mounts on two Antelope and it's not much different then deer except for To take the sheeths off and glue them back on. Once you boil the head the sheeths start to loosen up and slide off. Once sheeths off cut the membrane off and then your down to bone. Bleach it and glue back on. It's worth it to me to not pay someone for a afternoon of a few beers while boiling but to each their own.
IMG_3911.jpg
IMG_3913.jpg

Good luck finding a decent processor, I've been living in Denver for 2 years after moving from Montana and haven't found anyone who doesn't have terrible reviews in the metro area so I've been taking my meat to a western slope shop.

Steve's in Olde Towne Arvada. We've had them do ~15 animals over the years (we just get specialty stuff, burger, and jerky from Steve). Best Jerky and some of the best sausage I've ever had. I imagine he has reviews all over the place (the place can be a shitshow of activity during the rifle seasons - it's actually very entertaining people watching), but excellent work.

Edit - Website: http://www.stevesmeatmarket.com

Last edited:
Steve's in Olde Towne Arvada. We've had them do ~15 animals over the years (we just get specialty stuff, burger, and jerky from Steve). Best Jerky and some of the best sausage I've ever had. I imagine he has reviews all over the place (the place can be a shitshow of activity during the rifle seasons - it's actually very entertaining people watching), but excellent work.

I second Steve's. His son also does European mounts and did a great job on a bull elk for me 2 years ago.

+3, Steve's does a great job, especially if you do your part and take care of the meat in the field. Just get there early!

Most of the bad reviews I've ever heard about Steve's were people who didn't like his first-come first-served policy because they showed up late, or who think they didn't get enough meat back. However, based on the condition of some of the carcasses that folks bring in to have butchered, I'm surprised some of them get anything back at all! It's almost embarrassing to witness what some hunters think is responsible meat care...

Look up Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios in Bailey for the taxidermy. Dean has a beetle colony and can do the skull for you, turns out much nicer than boiling, the last one I had him do was around $125...

Last edited:
Back