Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Caribou vs BlackOrvis Game bags

Majja

Has anyone compared these two brands of game bags. If so which do you prefer for Elk and deer?

Thanks
Matt

If you do go with Black Ovis and plan on using them for Elk. A large will not be big enough. Personal experience ;)

Here is the deal. There have been a ton of hard core hunters on here that give the thumbs up on the Caribou game bags that I would not risk using anything else. I have used them and in fact just bought another set of them, not because mine are worn out but because other people that hunt with me often bring cheese cloth type bags. Yea they can and do work but I don't want some to have spoiled meat because of a lesser quality bag. This is just my two cents.

Caribou bags are great, been using ours for a few years now no problems. Got ours for a nice deal at an outdoor show years back.
We also have some great canvas game bags that work good for tree hanging and transporting on atv or in truck , leaving your light ones for packing out the animal to camp.

Thanks for the info I think I will just go with the tried and true Caribou.

I used Black Orvis last year instead of the alaskan game bags as a experiment. The Orvis bags are a pillow case, enough said. Alaskan game bags are more breathable and very durable. Stick with alaskan game bags.

I like Caribou and don't need to try another brands. I packed probably more than 25 animals with one set and they are still good.

I used Black Orvis last year instead of the alaskan game bags as a experiment. The Orvis bags are a pillow case, enough said. Alaskan game bags are more breathable and very durable. Stick with alaskan game bags.

I feel like that is maybe not "enough said", It seems like a lot of guys experience is the opposite. I have had issues with Alaskan bags stretching too much and allowing debris through and probably fly larvae, and have always ended up being esentially 1 time use. I have never used the Black Ovis bags, but have 4-5 seasons on my Caribou set, and IMO far and away a better product.

Also, I will happily take those Ovis bags off your hands, it never hurts to have a few extra lying around.

I have used the Caribou bags for several years and am very happy with them. We ended up being extremely rough on them on a terrible pack out a few years ago (as in, throw them down the mountain and see how far they would roll) as we were carrying an entire bull elk between two guys and ripped a couple of them.

I picked up some of the Ovis bags to replace them but haven't had a chance to put them to use yet. The material seems identical to the Caribou bags, the only issue that I can see that could potentially be a problem would be if the Ovis bags don't have as strong of stitching as the Caribou bags. They seem to, but I haven't used them in harsh conditions yet to know. They are a little lighter than the Caribou bags but I think that is because they are sized smaller. The Caribou bags seem a little too big for me, but I tend to bone out my quarters. I can fit a lot more meat in a Caribou bag than I can carry.

I feel like that is maybe not "enough said", It seems like a lot of guys experience is the opposite. I have had issues with Alaskan bags stretching too much and allowing debris through and probably fly larvae, and have always ended up being esentially 1 time use. I have never used the Black Ovis bags, but have 4-5 seasons on my Caribou set, and IMO far and away a better product.

Also, I will happily take those Ovis bags off your hands, it never hurts to have a few extra lying around.

I agree at least for the "Alaskan bags" that you see for sale at stores like Fred Meyers, etc. in Alaska.
The weave is almost as bad as cheese cloth and fly eggs get through to the meat.

I had one in camp for opener of duck season and it was unusually warm, so we hung the ducks
in a Alaskan game bag, back home 3 days later the duck feathers were infested with fly eggs.

A newbie mistake in Alaska is flying in to Fairbanks/Anchorage and buying these bags at the local store then heading out.
They are inexpensive, but you get what you pay for...

I soak my Caribou bags and camp cotton bags in a rain barrel and then run through the washing machine
air dry and good to go for another season (and many,many years!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back