scope lapping tools?

Greenbear

I'm probably going to purchase a lapping rod for my scope rings. Do I "need" the alignment bars if I'm using a lapping rod? Does it not perform the "rings are straight" function if a rod is running through them? Why would I want the alignment bars for mounting a scope? Thanks!

It will allow you to know if you are done lapping or still need to smooth things out. The lapping tool and alignment bars come as a kit so I'd just get that. I think Weaver makes as set for $40.

I have quite a few scopes mounted without lapping and things are good after many years of abuse. I even have used Burris Signature rings that use nylon inserts which effectively nullifies the need for lapping.

I would get the kit. For hunting accuracy, all of that usually isn't needed. Amazes me, though, that shops will quickly mount a scope without lapping and aligning. Wouldn't you want your customers to have all the accuracy possible from the rig you just sold them?

My opinion is the aligning bars are very important. Lapping helps but you can get by without it. Improperly aligned rings can damage a good scope.

Thanks all... Based on my question, I'm sure it's evident that I'm a novice for many 'smithing duties; Is the wheeler kit good enough or do I want the sinclair kit (more expensive, but much better?). I probably mount a new scope every other year at the most and would be used for myself and forsee helping friends from time to time.

It takes surprisingly little lapping on most set ups to acquire a as close to perfect contact as humanly possible. So as stated above don't over do it.
I have found it a usually unnecessary process in most good base and ring set ups. But a rifle that has stiff recoil and that is going to be used for long distance shooting can benefit from it.
If you are dropping a thousand bucks plus on optics for your rifle, lapping is a why not no brainier in my opinion.

I've come across some info regarding the need to "lap any scope setup". Is this so, and if so, how would I know? I'm lapping challenged, obviously.

Thought I'd try this again after doing a little homework first.

Had a bit of difficulty zeroing the rifle/scope purchased a few months back.

After fooling around and realizing I didn't know what the hell I was doing, I found this: https://www.qdma.com/10-shooting-tips-army-marksmen/

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTIY9cZlpPs from Midway.

According to the first link, the claim is made that ALL setups should be lapped. Not that I want to second guess those who know far more about this topic than I'll ever learn, but, is it really the case all rifle/scope setups should be lapped?

Not worried about doing what's needed to be sure my setup is spot on, on the other hand I don't want to eff it up either by doing something uncalled for.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back