Caribou Gear

Frame Pack Suggestions

ekimmob

Hey All - I am looking for an affordable frame backpack to start my collection. The intended use of this backpack would be light storage for day trips and backing out game meat. I have an elk, deer and antelope tag this year, but the units are generally flat spot and stalk types of units and I want to travel light.
So, something with room for binos, water, some food, clothing storage and then plenty of room for meat. I am not planning to use this for overnight camping/hunting, so I want to keep it simple. Does anyone have an recommendations for an affordable ($200 max), quality pack? Let me know and thanks in advance! Mike

Look at the Cabelas Alaskan. I have had one for a few years. I think they are around $100 for just the frame pack but I think there are options to be had with it.

I have the Alps CommanderZ (?) - external frame pack and it is very affordable. I carried 60 lbs of elk meat off the mountain with it last year and it worked great. I removed a bunch of stuff (top bar, meat shelf, extra straps) that it came with to reduce the weight and I taped the pins to reduce noise.

Sjk rail hauler or kelty cache hauler are two of our favorite external frame packs.

+1 on the Alps Commander, I picked up a lightly used frame and bag on eBay for $110. It fits literally all of my hunting gear plus my Alps Big Bear backpack with room to spare.

Hey All - I am looking for an affordable frame backpack to start my collection. The intended use of this backpack would be light storage for day trips and backing out game meat. I have an elk, deer and antelope tag this year, but the units are generally flat spot and stalk types of units and I want to travel light.
So, something with room for binos, water, some food, clothing storage and then plenty of room for meat. I am not planning to use this for overnight camping/hunting, so I want to keep it simple. Does anyone have an recommendations for an affordable ($200 max), quality pack? Let me know and thanks in advance! Mike[/QUOTE

Midway has the alps commander on sale now for $108.00 you won't buy anything near as nice for the price point. Might buy one alittle better for another $200.00.

I'm looking at frame packs right now as well. I have used the Alaskan from Cabelas before and was happy with it. It's about 100 bucks. They have others as well.

I don't see load lifters on the alps packs. That's a no go for me.

I'm looking at frame packs right now as well. I have used the Alaskan from Cabelas before and was happy with it. It's about 100 bucks. They have others as well.

Iam a newbie what are lifters and what do they do maybe I need them too

Iam a newbie what are lifters and what do they do maybe I need them too

I'm not the best pack guru but I'll try to explain. They are straps attached from shoulder strap to pack frame above your shoulders. When tightened they lift the shoulder straps off the top and back of your shoulder putting more of the weight on your hips. They do this while also keeping the shoulder strap tight keeping the weight close to your back.

All this being said the pack needs to be properly fit to your torso for them to function properly. Google load lifters and you'll soon understand what I'm talking about.

I have the ALPS Cmdr and had to go look...no lifters. I am a fairly experienced backpacker (dozens of overnight trips) and own several backpacks and I never noticed the Cmdr doesn't have lifters. It must be the adjustable shoulder strap height (clevis pins can be moved easily) that fulfills the same purpose. I definitely did not carry that 60 lbs of elk meat on my shoulders - it was almost entirely on my hips.

I have the ALPS Cmdr and had to go look...no lifters. I am a fairly experienced backpacker (dozens of overnight trips) and own several backpacks and I never noticed the Cmdr doesn't have lifters. It must be the adjustable shoulder strap height (clevis pins can be moved easily) that fulfills the same purpose. I definitely did not carry that 60 lbs of elk meat on my shoulders - it was almost entirely on my hips.

Interesting. One of our party just backed out so I'll probably borrow his Alaskan. Will stop at Cabelas heading west and check the alps out. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think I am going to go with the ALPS Commander....I can get it on Amazon Prime for just a shade cheaper than on Midway. I'll try and post a review once I've used it for three hunts this fall.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think I am going to go with the ALPS Commander....I can get it on Amazon Prime for just a shade cheaper than on Midway. I'll try and post a review once I've used it for three hunts this fall.

I have several ALPS packs including the Commander and find them an amazing value. If Mystery Ranch is outside your budget, no need to look any further than ALPS. The Commander is great for Elk, the Traverse for Antelope/deer and the Falcon for small game. These are sub-$100 packs on Amazon that are as good as any $200 dollar pack I have ever seen. I have not had a Mystery Ranch so I accept that they might be much nicer for $300+.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back