MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Trecking poles

Pair... I've become so accustomed to poles that I don't even go on day hikes without them anymore. For me, they help develop a rhythm, act as the insurance against tripping on rocks, sliding on hills, and the third (and fourth) leg when navigating tricky terrain.

Buy the pair. You don't have to use both at the same time. They are light and packable enough where one can lash onto your pack with little notice- and IF one breaks, you'll have a backup.... and, when cris-crossed (sp?), they can serve as an impromptu bi-pod/shooting stick setup.

As mentioned, you can spend a little, or a lot on poles. I like those that have the cork grip. Actually, these are a cork/rubber mixture. The rubber keeps them durable, and the cork helps to mitigate the sweat from my hands. Many like the flip lock (think bicycle quick release), but I have had the same twist lock pair for almost 20 years now. During that time, I have weighed anywhere from 215 to 240- and that doesn't include pack weight. IME, twist locks work perfectly fine- if you know how they work, and don't just twist and crank on them like some unknown magic holds them together. Flip locks are more expensive and a bit heavier, twist locks tend to be more affordable and lighter weight.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back