Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Binocular help please

Wjesswheel

So I am hunting pronghorn this fall in Wyoming. I have a decent. Pair of 10x nikons that I like a lot except they are fairly large. I will be hunting with a 8x40 Burris xtr2 scope on my 308 that has pretty fair glass in it (I think it's excellent) that I can use to judge horns with I think. Thinking about picking up a little higher magnification pair of binoculars that are smaller. I usually buy fairly good equipment, but Iam a little over budget on this hunt with buying a gps unit, onxmaps, new backpacking equipment, tire chains. Iam thinking about picking up a cheap pair of 16x or 20x barska lucid binoculars. Was wondering if any body has any experience with them or another cheaper brand. My brother in law will be toting a 60x leupold spotting scope. Mainly just looking for something to help me pick out the white spots at maybe 800 to 1000yard. Never really liked using a spotting scope seem like they always have to much shake in them for me. There's no trophies where Iam hunting just really need to locate some horns, probably shoot the first think I see that has horns any advice on some cheaper optics would certainly be appreciated

I don't think the Barskas would be worth your time. I would get a decent tripod and head with an adapter for your Nikons if you're on a budget. You might be surprised how your Nikons will perform.

Agree with Schaaf. Cheap optics will give you a headache in more ways than one. I have hunted Wyoming several times with 7 power binoculars. In the clear air up there quality optics will serve much better than magnification (really true anywhere).

Agree with Schaaf. Cheap optics will give you a headache in more ways than one. I have hunted Wyoming several times with 7 power binoculars. In the clear air up there quality optics will serve much better than magnification (really true anywhere).

I like my nikons they got decent glass just big. Was just wanting a small pair to do some quick glossing with. Yeah optics you usually get what you pay for.

I agree with the others. I think going for more than 10X in a smaller size, cheaply, is taking two steps backwards while trying to take 1 step forward. Just use the ones you have. You state you are after just a buck. Those are easily distinguished from does with 10X (or less) binos from a long way away. If you absolutely feel you need to, I'd agree with the advice for getting a tripod set up for your current binos. Even then I'd probably skip on that.

how big can a 10x be anyway?

are they bigger than 10x42?

do you use a bino harness, that is new enough the stretch is not worn out? that, inlcuding replacing the harness every year makes a huge difference in comfort.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back