7 MM Mag Load Data

I did a similar loading with IMR 4831 years ago. I too at that time used one powder for several calibers to save money on powder inventory. It worked fine for most because the burn rate sits in a good medium area of the scale.
Unless you are trying to get best possible porformance out of a rifle, you won't ever have a problem with what you have worked up.
It won't be perfect for large capacity calibers, but exceptable speed and accuracy can be had with a variety of the most popular calibers out there.
I stopped the one powder fits all when I started shooting magnums alot. I wanted the best performance I could get for long range shooting.
Now I have lots of powders but I still try to keep it simple and stick to one brand. That way the burn rates can be kept track of alot easier for experiments with new loads.
I like the Alliant brand. They come as R- 15,R-17, R,22 ..... And so on. It is simply easier for me too keep it straight that way.
They are also great and in my opinion a affordable brand powder.

I have a 7mm wby mag and I'm looking for information on how to loading hornady 162gr ELDX. I can't find any information on this. I wanted to use IMR 4350 powder as I already have it but I'm looking for best results. I understand I have to play around to find it but anything to get me on the right track. What is the minimum and max loads I can do with this bullet? I saw a guy that post he shot .5 groupings out to 300 yards with this bullet but I can't get a hold of him. I've tried. So what powder, how much and primers did you guys use? What was the COAL to? So again any info will be great!!!

Strader I'm using 66gr. of R-23, WLRM primers, and 3.433 O.A.L. running at an average 3,147fps. with the 162gr. ELD-X.
Fired out of a Rem. 700 with a 26" barrel.
Not getting .5 at 300, but 3/8 at the hundred.
Using Hornady brass with good results.

As always, start lower and work up. I got pressure signs at 67 1/2gr. of powder, then backed off.

Strader,
A big casing likes lots of powder. And as a general rule slow is accurate.
Roy Weatherby didn't intend his cartridges to be slow.
I would reccomen RL22, RL23, or preferably RL26.
Use Hornady 162gr. A-Max data.
My rifles like the ELDX just off of the lands.

Thanks guys! I have another question. I found a post that said with my set up which all he said was he had a wby mag with 24in barrel, 1/10 twist and he used H1000 and H4831 and had great groupings. I don't know much about the RL22,23, H1000 or the H4831. I get that slower burns are better for longer barrels but I'm going to head to the store today and pick one of these over the one I already have IMR4350 or IMR7828. I have no reason not to use the IMR4350 or IMR7828 except for the fact that everything that I read is saying to use one of the 3-4 that I listed. You guys know which one you would pick? Thanks

IMR 4350 is a better choices for short mag. cartridges. The burn rate of IMR 4831 is slower and 7828 is slower yet.
If you want to fire the 178gr. or heavier, then use IMR 7828. If lighter then IMR 4831.
The number designated to IMR and most other powders means nothing to anyone but the manufacturer and has little to do with granulation or burn rate.

Just one reason I prefer the Alliant brand now. With Alliant, the larger the number, the slower the burn rate in rifle powder anyway.

I watch carefully what I do, but understand your concern. I will refrain from posting specifics in the future.
However, it's up the individual to do what their going to do. A fool will be a fool. :p

Seems on the edge. Posting specific loads on an open forum is a no no usually. mtmuley

I watch carefully what I do, but understand your concern. I will refrain from posting specifics in the future.
However, it's up the individual to do what their going to do. A fool will be a fool. :p

Good on ya.

Each rifle is different, and some can take the hot rodding well. I do it in a few rifles, but my model 70 gets a pretty standard load right around 2800-2850 w/165's. My 338 is screaming but it's a heavy action & long barrel.

Look at pressure data for each of these powders when throwing the same bullet at relatively similar velocity. The IMR4350 out of my Savage 110 was originally for a managed recoil copycat load to save cash. Then I started shooting Barnes TTSX 140s and found the right balance with 56.6gr of IMR4350 spitting out the end at 2950. Good ballistics and a solid punch downrange yet a much more subtle felt recoil impulse.

I started out by picking the top three bullets i wanted to throw and matched them up with various powders. Play around and load groups of 5 with several powders and take out as many variables as possible when shooting from the bench

Good on ya.

Each rifle is different, and some can take the hot rodding well. I do it in a few rifles, but my model 70 gets a pretty standard load right around 2800-2850 w/165's. My 338 is screaming but it's a heavy action & long barrel.

Agreed. This particular rifle is in it's own class. I did not push to find the stepping off point as its very good already exactly where it is. I do not recommend this load for any other rifle. :)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back