Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

7 MM Mag Load Data

HighDesertSage

I'm trying to work up a load for my 7 mag, and I am really hoping to use H4831SC from a practical stand point. My other rifles really like this powder, and I want to buy it in bulk, so there is a big convenience factor by being able to use this powder. Right now I am leaning toward a 140 Accubond. First indications @64 grains with this bullet/powder combo are leaning toward a good shooter. 5 shots came in right at 1.095". I think if I play with seating depth and crimp I can get it down to .75 or so.

So my question/concern is (being new to reloading and the 7 mag) is H4831SC a good powder, or will I get more performance with a more suitable match? Nolser doesn't publish any data for this, and Hodgdon's website has a max load listed at 64 gr and a MV of 2950, which seems really slow for the 7 mag. I wold appreciate and insight/comments/experience anyone would like to share.

Thanks!

That is slow according to the Nosler web site load data. Go on the nosler website and look under information, then go down to load data. Here you can get to what your looking for. They list IMR-4831 but no H-4831. Several powders show velocity's over 3200 FPS for the 140 grain bullet.
Hope this helps.
Dan

Did you stop at 64 grains because of pressure or did it show an accuracy node? Do you have room for more pressure (ie no sticky bolt, primers look good, etc)? .75" is good for hunting and 100-150 fps won't be noticeable inside most hunting distances. If you want more velocity you may have to switch powders which I know you didn't want but maybe consider one of the Alliant Reloader powders or Hodgdon Retumbo or H7828. The IMR Enduron 7977 could be a good one.

I attempted to get a bit more speed out of my 7mmMag using MagPro and have had disappointing groups the higher I got in charges.

Found it easy to load for. I settled on Barnes 140 TTSX with Retumbo. Re 22 worked good too.

Did you stop at 64 grains because of pressure or did it show an accuracy node? Do you have room for more pressure (ie no sticky bolt, primers look good, etc)? .75" is good for hunting and 100-150 fps won't be noticeable inside most hunting distances. If you want more velocity you may have to switch powders which I know you didn't want but maybe consider one of the Alliant Reloader powders or Hodgdon Retumbo or H7828. The IMR Enduron 7977 could be a good one.

I attempted to get a bit more speed out of my 7mmMag using MagPro and have had disappointing groups the higher I got in charges.

No signs of excessive pressure, I stopped at 64 grains because Hodgdon had listed that as the max load, and I couldn't find any other load data.

H4831 is great powder. Personally, I'd step up to the 150 BT, find good groups around 3,000 fps and start practicing.

I really like a 160 accubond over 7828ssc, many rounds loaded for a number of different rifles, it seems I can always make a rifle shoot, with a little adjusting seating length or charge weight, at 3100 fps it harvest game really well, not much help on 140's though

I'm trying to work up a load for my 7 mag, and I am really hoping to use H4831SC from a practical stand point. My other rifles really like this powder, and I want to buy it in bulk, so there is a big convenience factor by being able to use this powder. Right now I am leaning toward a 140 Accubond. First indications @64 grains with this bullet/powder combo are leaning toward a good shooter. 5 shots came in right at 1.095". I think if I play with seating depth and crimp I can get it down to .75 or so.

So my question/concern is (being new to reloading and the 7 mag) is H4831SC a good powder, or will I get more performance with a more suitable match? Nolser doesn't publish any data for this, and Hodgdon's website has a max load listed at 64 gr and a MV of 2950, which seems really slow for the 7 mag. I wold appreciate and insight/comments/experience anyone would like to share.

Thanks!

What did your load chrono? If you looked at Hodgdon's loading data, then you know that other powders offer more performance. Are you gonna be shooting anything larger than deer with it? If so, I'd load it with 160 grain Accubonds or Partitions around 3000 fps and not look back.

FWIW, I'm getting 2950 fps in my 7 SAUM with 160 grain Accubonds in a 22" barrel with RL26.

I would go up in the loads. Nosler lists 65 gr. with H4831 and 150's. Lyman goes to 67.5 with nosler 140's. Nosler also lists IMR 4831 [faster than H4831] at 66 gr. with 140's.

Thank you guys. I ordered up the Lyman reload booklet for the 7 mag and will see what they have published. I might try some Barnes as well, they publish data for H4831SC.

Both my best shooting loads are with IMR 4350. Might be worth a shot if you're interested in trying something else.

IMR 4350 with Berger CH will shoot under an inch at 300 yards and under 10" at a mile in my 7mm and under .5 MOA with Accubonds in my 300WM.

Your load will work, but there are more suitable powders for the Rem Mag out there.

I personally would get either RL23 or RL26. Both will push a 140gr 3200fps.
And if you want to go heavier they will give you the ompf for that also.

Rem Mag easy to load. Keep an eye on the primer pockets. Mine usually start loosening up about the 5th reloading.
If the primer falls in, time for the scrap bin.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back