Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New poles - Leki or Black Diamond

ajanssen

Buying some trekking poles and I've narrowed my choices to the Leki Corklite or the Black Diamond Ergo Cork. The angled grips on the Ergo Cork seems like a good idea for flats and ascents, but I wonder if they could actually be a detriment when descending. Any experience with either of these?

This spring I just broke one of my Black Diamond carbon flic locks, after 5 years of abuse. I've used Leki's too, they are similar quality. Only experience with Costco, el-cheapo poles resulted in a snapped pole within 3 hours of use.

If you are concerned about being ultralight and are not price sensitive, look at Gossamer Gear.

Black Diamond has been a strong supporter of protecting our public lands and been especially vocal about getting the Outdoor Retailer show to move from Utah (ant public lands) to Colorado (pro public lands).

I've broken a lot of poles and used about every common maker, though of course not every model. Black Diamond is tops in trekking poles in my book. When going ultralight I use a single Gossamer Gear Light Trek, but otherwise it's BD. I have had the worst luck with Komperdell FWIW, which is a bummer because I like their feature sets a lot.

I haven't used them yet but I went with the Black Diamond Ergo Cork. I really liked the feel and think the natural cork will be more comfortable with sweaty hands.

Has any one had experiences with Hiker Hunger carbon fiber poles? On sale now on Amazon for $70, normally $130. Each pole less than 8 oz. Does have a one year warranty.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I have Leki trekking poles but my ski poles are BD. Both are top quality.

A few years ago, I remember being pretty impressed with a pair of Easton poles, after I had bought my BD's. I don't remember why I liked them, or what impressed me. I don't know if Easton still makes them. Aron did a review on them at one point.

BD all the way. A lot of their stuff is pretty cheap for "higher end" gear but they nailed it with their poles. Avoid the twist lock poles, they will always fail. The clamp system on the bd poles is repairable in the field and I've never seen one break. I guided mountaineering on cascade volcanos for years where everyone had trekking poles and I got see what worked and what didn't.

Funny, I have had the same Leki ski poles for 20 years of skiing, hunting, and climbing.these twist locks have gone on scores of summit climbs and steadied me packing out countless heavy loads of meat.never failed.

I've had the same BD's for 16 years now...can't tell what brand they are by looking at them anymore with all the scratches and whatnot. Still going strong though!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back