Region 7 mule doe tags

8andcounting

There is over 8,600 surplus mule doe tags for region 7 ...... wow ..... are they trying to decimate the herd . I know this topic has been brought up before but that seems extremely high amount of tags . Yes region 7 is huge but still wow

Sure be nice if guys didn't buy them. mtmuley

Yes . Agreed but it's a way for people to fill the freezer . But I agree with you . Just saying the temptation wouldn't be there if they weren't available

It does seem like FWP is trying to completely take them out. Crazy to watch the change in mule deer population over the last 30 years.

250,000 acres of feed just burnt up in 700.

Lots of better ways/places to "fill the freezer".

It does seem like FWP is trying to completely take them out. Crazy to watch the change in mule deer population over the last 30 years.

250,000 acres of feed just burnt up in 700.

Lots of better ways/places to "fill the freezer".

I think it could be a very interesting hunting season this fall , not only in region 7 , but wherever it has been so dry Ranchers are gonna be crabby and less tolerant for hunters driving on their land and just overall . I don't blame them I would be crabby too if I had this kind of drought and it was affecting my livelihood . Just saying it could be interesting

Seems ridiculous if you actually spend time out there, which FWP apparently does not. Such great country out in region 7 so it's a shame to see FWP taking a giant crap on their deer herd.

I have kicked this horse so many times my leg is about to fall off. I sure wish the old nag would just up and die and put us both out of our misery but he keeps getting back up so I am going to take a few more kicks.
Eight thousand plus tags for region 7 may or may not be too many. Region 7 covers a lot of ground. The problem is that the tags are region wide with no restrictions on where they are used. I would bet that the deer herd is not fully recovered from the hard winter a few years ago in the northern part of 7 yet all 8600 could be filled north of the Yellowstone. There are thousands of does on river bottom hay fields. How many tags will be filled on the river bottoms. My bet is relatively few. Far too may will be filled on public land where deer numbers are getting better but far from ideal.
Issuing that many tags for a place the size of region seven with no restrictions on where the tags are filled is not management.

Last edited:
I have kicked this horse so many times my leg is about to fall off. I sure wish the old nag would just up and die and put us both out of our misery but he keeps getting back up so I am going to take a few more kicks.
Eight thousand plus tags for region 7 may or may not be too many. Region 7 covers a lot of ground. The problem is that the tags are region wide with no restrictions on where they are used. I would bet that the deer herd is not fully recovered tough winter a few years ago in the northern part of 7 yet all 8600 could be filled north of the Yellowstone. There are thousands of does on river bottom hay fields. How many tags will be filled on the river bottoms. My bet is relatively few. Far too may will be filled on public land where deer numbers are getting better but far from ideal.
Issuing that many tags for a place the size of region seven with no restrictions on where the tags are filled is not management.

Bingo!

Is the 798-01 Elk B tag valid for all of region 7? Please excuse my lack of understanding of the code, still working on learning it all!

This is a complete lack of sound management and a cash grab for FWP and an effort to appease landowners. I totally agree that if they did actually base this on science that the only logical thing would be to restrict the permits to private land only. The mule deer are far from recovered on the public land, and I've hunted these areas since 1998, so I've seen it at its peak and it's bottom. It is better than it's been and was headed in a good direction but this will greatly hinder and all but end the recovery! SAD SAD SAD

Eight thousand plus tags for region 7 may or may not be too many. Region 7 covers a lot of ground. The problem is that the tags are region wide with no restrictions on where they are used. I would bet that the deer herd is not fully recovered from the hard winter a few years ago in the northern part of 7 yet all 8600 could be filled north of the Yellowstone. There are thousands of does on river bottom hay fields. How many tags will be filled on the river bottoms. My bet is relatively few. Far too may will be filled on public land where deer numbers are getting better but far from ideal.

Agreed!
We have a ranch in the NE corner, I have personally watched the Mule Deer herd around the farm go from about 2 or 3 too now that is about all you see. The WhiteTails died off and the Mule Deer are flourishing..... not sure what you are worried about? It is a drastic amount of tags I will agree on that.
Matt

This is a complete lack of sound management and a cash grab for FWP and an effort to appease landowners. I totally agree that if they did actually base this on science that the only logical thing would be to restrict the permits to private land only. The mule deer are far from recovered on the public land, and I've hunted these areas since 1998, so I've seen it at its peak and it's bottom. It is better than it's been and was headed in a good direction but this will greatly hinder and all but end the recovery! SAD SAD SAD

I would have to say that this is mostly about the money. FWP may use landowner tolerance a reason to issue tags but I don't buy it. The landowner tolerance concern could easily be addressed by making most of the tags only good for private land. If landowners are concerned about the number of deer they should have no problem finding some one with a private land tag to shoot does. Shooting does on public land will do little to help out a landowner with deer damage. It is likely to make damage worse as hunting pressure is likely to push deer off of public and on to adjacent private.

Just a random thought. Could some landowners be tricking FWP in to over hunting public knowing that the bucks are sure to follow the does to the private when the rut starts.

Duck, I am not worried about the deer on private land getting removed from the herd. I hope that the vast majority of the tags are filled on private land.Unfortunately hope is all I got. The reality is that the deer herd on public land will take a beating and many hunters will only move to private land when does on public are hard to find.

Ohndycp. No disrespect but the peak of the deer in SE MT was long before the late ninety's. Was the ninety's better than now? Yes but not even close to what the hunting was in the 80's. Truth is trend has been downward as long as I have been hunting. I started in 78. I pray we have seen the bottom a few years ago but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:
How much is MT F&G budget $75MM? How much do doe tags go for? $10? If you think this is about "money" you'd likely be mistaken. Without getting into the details of the budget, I really doubt that an extra $100,000+/- is really about the "money." They wouldn't even notice it was gone. If they need to sell doe tags to keep afloat, they're fugged.

Its usually the guys that complain the state is making too much money, who whine about dropping $20 for damn expensive elk tag.

I purchased 7 tags today and will be promptly throwing them away when I get them in the mail.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back