New Guy From MN

VikingsGuy

Grew up fishing, camping, hiking and canoeing all over the Dakotas, Minnesota and Ontario with my dad, but dad wasn't much of a hunter. Learned a lot about the woods from him but ended up teaching myself what I know about hunting. Still trying to learn and committed to passing it all down to my 14 yr old son (and favorite hunting partner).

I started my journey into hunting with shotguns pursuing pheasants and grouse. I loved the walking in the prairie/woods and could never get excited about sitting in a duck blind or goose layout. When I started to turn my attention to rifle hunting, this bias carried over -- it was tough to get excited about big game hunting here in MN as it is mostly deer/bear stand. But I have now turned my attention to pronghorn, it seems that the walk & stalk of antelope will be the kind of outdoor activity I enjoy. I am working towards getting WY tags for fall of '18. While happy to focus on pronghorn for now, I think western mule deer may provide similar interest - and maybe even elk, but that seems a little pricey and hard to get tags.

That's what has me joining this forum -- prepping for pronghorn. I look forward to learning a lot, and hopefully having something of value to offer in return.

Last edited:
Welcome. Hope you get out west and do some of the things you mention. SKOL!!!!!

Thanks, Randy. I really enjoyed your "Antelope only" video set. Your down to earth style and clear commitment to teaching the sport stand out in a sea of "look at me, look at me hype videos". Looking forward to watching others as well.

Welcome from central MN. Went on my first WY Antelope hunt with my wife couple years ago and had a blast. My advise is don't wait for the better units, get out there on some leftovers and make a adventure. You and your son would have fun, can't wait till my one year old comes of age to take with.

Welcome from central MN. Went on my first WY Antelope hunt with my wife couple years ago and had a blast. My advise is don't wait for the better units, get out there on some leftovers and make a adventure. You and your son would have fun, can't wait till my one year old comes of age to take with.

Did you go OTC in the northeast part of WY and pay trespass fees, or did you pull tags in areas with decent public access, but not know as trophy unit. The later is what we are hoping to do.

Hello from another Minnesotan.

Lots of leftover tags in WY still available if you're meat hunting and trying to learn. Good luck and welcome. If you're in the Metro let me know and we can swap stories. Theres a few MN guys on here that I know of.

Did you go OTC in the northeast part of WY and pay trespass fees, or did you pull tags in areas with decent public access, but not know as trophy unit. The later is what we are hoping to do.

Last two years I went on second choice tags in NE WY. Yes access can be tricky to navigate but with the ONX maps app and or gps chip you can get it done. No Trophy units but it was a blast and I still managed to shoot a 12" buck which is a trophy to me. This year Im going with two Antelope doe tags and a region A deer tag. If you get the onX map app and dig in it a bit you'll find enough accessable land to have a fun hunt. People on here are willing to help if show you've done a little research yourself. I'd be happy to help as well, best of luck this fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back