Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Eminent Domain

PlusFive

With all the issues in the west of inaccessible public land why have no western states used the power of eminent domain to grant access? States out east and in the mid-west have done it for years for far less convincing "public" interests. You would think that in states that have such a large economic stake in public hunting that they would use such power to grant access. All the state would have to do is provide just compensation and prove the taking is public use. Fair market value on a trail comprising of less than acre or two of land would cost the state little money compared to other less fruitful state endeavors.

Because republicans will not use it and democrats want at least a fighting chance in the next election. Using eminent domain would likely be like playing Russian Roulette with four loaded cylinders in much of the rural west. Elected officials don't like those kind of odds.

A lot of Idaho's legislature consists of large land owners and ranchers.
Our policies seem to be moving in the wrong direction.

Using eminent domain would likely be like playing Russian Roulette with four loaded cylinders in much of the rural west. Elected officials don't like those kind of odds.

This gave me a good laugh. It's still 33% chance of success though!

I agree with your synopsis.

HA! I like your summary antler. So do you see future of public land hunting as shrinking, stabilizing, or expanding? I can tell you from experience the Midwest whitetail scene is over rated and a load of crap. Many friends have moved on to duck hunting or other things. You either pay big money or set up a stand within seeing distance of 4 other hunters. Then, if you are lucky to get one, the hunt is only successful if that buck makes book and you have history with it. Also, I have observed a few friendships and neighbor bonds disintegrate into blood feuds over someone shooting a buck that "wasn't mature" or "still needed another year". I just hope that mentality stays out of the west.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back