Anyone evet tried hunting sika elk/deer

VAspeedgoat

Well what was initially a "I wonder", has turned into a real possibility for this fall or next. I have done some research in Maryland and Virginia but I was curious if anyone has ever hunted them in these areas or others such as Texas. There are hunts in some federal refuges in Va and Md as well as some state wma opportunities in Md. I was hoping some on here may have tried this and had some tips on tactics, equipment ( boats, waders, hip boots etc), or just some basic do's and donts. Hoping someone out there is familiar, thanks in advance if you can help.

I have not hunted them but have researched it a fair amount, they have some interesting season dates that you can usually hunt them with a rifle later in the year. What i have found is in the marshes of Va and Md alot of people hunt over feeder to bring them in. Iv wondered if you could hunt them in chestwaders/boot(kind of like randy does in Alaska) and spot and stalk them or bump them try and get a shot. I would think later winter you could see them since the leaves would be down.

If there was every a hunt talk Sika deer hunt id be down to join if i could make it work.

Hunted them a bit in Dorchester Co. First half hour and last half hour is generally when you see them. They like their feet wet but not their bellies. Blackwater refuge can be good as well as some state wmas. Hunting the rut in October is neat as you can hear them bugle/whistle/whatever. Never tried calling them as but I imagine it could work. Be prepared for mosquitos. Would love to go home some time and hunt them again. Neat little critter.

I gave them a try several years ago drew a late hunt on one of the refuges. I didn't even lay eyes on one saw some sign though. It reminds me of beating BlackBerry briars trying to jump a rabbit only worse. The area I was in was super thick swampy and nasty. I'd like to try it again someday if I could draw a rut hunt. Otherwise I'd probably pass on a late gun hunt. I have heard they have really tried to kill them out on the national refuges and are getting tough to find but no first hand knowledge of that. I heard it was because they where not a native species.

I hunt them here in NZ but I not sure our hunting tactics will help you. I hunt them all year round - on the tops during summer, bush hunting in the winter but the roar is clearly the best time to hunt them. They are vocal and inquisitive and your hunting tactics should take this into account. A great animal to hunt. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have hunted them and must admit they are tasty critters. Much better table fare than a whitetail.

You can hunt them on public land in Dorchester County at the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge and also at Assateague in Worcester County. We often kill them while conducting deer drives on a private marsh. I am not an expert on the hunting process in the two areas I mentioned but I am sure you can figure it out.

Get ready for mosquitoes and other bugs. When the weather is right and they are bugling, it's a truely unique experience.

The more I read, including these posts, I'm wondering if some sort of passive drive would work. Drives on public land aren't usually my thing but it seems like some of the late gun hunts will see more duck hunters than deer hunters. I agree yhe rut is obviously ideal but I'm not sure I can pull off the timing due to harvest. It also seems like a climbinh stand to get a better view may be in order too. I also wonder if a canoe and waders would help to get away from other hunters and I to better habitat?

I agree they are very tasty. Tagged along on a meat hunt in Texas for a young, non trophy stag.
Some free range hunts in Texas also and they are considered exotics and can be hunted year round.

Ive thought about putting in for that hunt. Everything I have read says waders and a shotgun. Jump them up like rabbits.

I was finally able to download the hunting regs for chincoteague nwr and apparently no drives so there goes that plan already. Most of the hunts I've seen are over bait on private land......not my cup of tea for sure.

I think Chincoteague and Assateague are very hunted out, but I've been wanting to get over to Blackwater and try it for a few years, but other hunts keep getting in the way.

I use to hunt them every year,and think I'll go back for archery this year on Blackwater.When I went,I hunted a bunch of private sections.Drives in the marsh work awesome but better with a shotgun.They get up only when your about to step on them.Their mating whistle is cool to hear and similar to elk.If you go,hunt the marsh grass.They aren't much of a woods deer.Patches of woods in the marshes would be excellent places to hang a stand.I think you have to apply for tags in shotgun or muzzleloader season

i was able to do a sika deer hunt a few years back. the little beasts are very skittish, silence and no movement are extremely essential, ground blinds over bait are the best way to get a chance at them. they are hyper aware of their surroundings and appear and disappear as if they are ghosts. i used a crossbow on my hunt, only saw a deer once never a shot opportunity though, they are fast little bastards. i wanna do this hunt again in the future, maybe during a rifle season, and maybe another state other than Maryland. good luck if you choose to do this and hopefully you'll have better success than i did.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back