elk gun

warmer

My 23 year old daughter drew her first cow elk tag. She wants a new gun and her local gun guy suggested a Browning Micro Midas. She is left handed and vertically challenged, 5'4" tall. Looking at a .308. Anyone with experience with this gun or suggestions on another option?

No experience with that model but a 308 will work just fine for her.

.308 with 165-180gr Nosler Accubond, E-tip, or Partition will do the job. The X-Bolt is a good accurate rifle and the Micro Midas is just configured for smaller framed hunters.

Last edited:
I got a Ruger American youth model in .308 for my son when he was about 13.
The short , light rifle was too much to handle for him in both recoil and especially muzzle rise.
Put a good brake on it and that fixed it up great. But, we sure hated to have to wear hearing protection at all times.

If I could do it again, I would have gone with the 7mm-08.

Browning Micro midas is an awesome gun. It was my first rifle. Mine was the A bolt in 7mm 08. I regret selling it. I should have just put a bigger stock on it. I would buy another in a heart beat.

Savage Lady Hunter is what my spouse hunts with. She is about the same height as your daughter. This rifle she has is chambered in 7mm-08. She loves it. Low recoil. I hand load the rounds for her as well. Great rifle. Look into it.... good luck.

My wife is only 5'3", also left handed, and has the Micro Midas in 7mm-08. She took a great 6 X 7 bull a couple years ago. 140 gr. Nosler Partitions. Recoil is not an issue.

Here is the rifle we built for my daughter (13). It is a SA Howa 1500 in HT-08 on a boyd's stock with a Vortex crossfire on top.

Attachments

• gun 2.jpg
    gun 2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 774
A 1st rifle should never be the one that looks all nice and slickety. In reality the Buddy System around the camp fire has lead too many new hunters astray.
My Dad was a Die Hard30/06'er, yet never notched a single tag on any game animal. Yet to his death it was the the only cartridge to hunt anything, anywhere.

My point being......there is a strong standing amongst this forum (well earned from experience) that the 7/08 is a very well balanced cartridge that delivers more than enough, far enough, without excess in weight, recoil, nor blast.

No experience with this but the Howa 1500 Ladies Rifle may be a good fit as well.

Thanks for all the help guys. This isn't her first gun. That was a Savage 111 in .243. She already has several pistols and rim fires. Just looking for a good excuse to buy an "elk gun". I want her to get something she can use without the recoil(which seems to be 7mm-08), but she's buying it, so it's up to her!

If she shoots the .243 without problems, the step up to the 308 should be fine, as long as the rifle fits her well. You can always move down to a 150 grain Barnes X or Nosler E-Tip and get similar performance to the heavier bullets with a little less recoil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back