Rifle build

Majja

I am rebuilding a Browning A-bolt. I was looking for some help on barrel profile, and stock options. I am going with a Lilja tube and was thinking of a #4 fluted in a 26". I want the rifle to have a good balance I don't mind a little extra weight I just do not want a 10lb rifle (not counting scope.) like wise I do not want a sub 6# rifle. I will keep it in 300 WM.

Also are there any stock suggestions, my choices seam to be McMillian , B&C and Boyd's. I would rather keep the weight in the most important places and cut it where I can.

Thanks Matt

The costs reflect it, but IMO the McMillan is a much better stock than the other options. A #4, even fluted, @ 26# is goodly amount of barrel. For that size and length I'd go with a standard fill McMillan to keep the balance acceptable. Going standard fill also allows you to get the gel coat camo/swirled finish if you'd like. The difference between the Classic or Hunter would depend on how much you like Monte Carlo-esque stocks. The Classic is more traditional and has a bit more open grip.

Should be under 10# unless you use a tank of a scope and rings/bases.

Right now she wears a Nikon Monarch 4x12x44 with Leupold rings. I am probably going to upgrade that as well after it is built. I am finding I do not like the BDC Rings in the Nikon. Scope wise I am thinking of going back to nice simple heavy Duplex or windplex style reticle.

Would you go with a different Contour and length?

Depends on what use you see for the rifle. If I was rebarrelling I'd probably go 264 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag as there are some bullet options in those diameters I find very interesting. ;) The 26" length wouldn't bother me and the countour wouldn't be too bad I don't think. Should make up for a very usable 300 Win Mag. I'd be cautious about putting a super light stock on it as I'd want it to balance well.

This guy has built a rifle VERY similar to what you are considering. He used a Lilja #5. He can give you more/better info than I can. First one with pics of the rifle. Second with an email address for the dude from his business.

http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/A-Bolt/A-Bolt/A-Bolt.html
https://www.aadmount.com/

I did not even give the 264 a thought. They do intrigue me a bit, as I do love my 6.5 Creed.

I do love my 6.5 Creed.

Blasphemy!! Be careful saying that around this crowd. The old farts that are stuck in their ways might think you have a man bun and wear yoga pans...

All joking aside, I think you're on the right track. Personally I would chop the barrel at 24 but you'll be good to go either way. Can't go wrong with a McMillan but I've liked the feel of the couple B&C stocks I've used too. Just depends how much you want to spend. Only complaint I have is the few Mcmillans I've handled while hunting always seem to chill my hands to the bone in a matter or minutes. It's very possible that I might just be a wimp tho....

I could rock the bun, but the yoga pants they would lock me up and through away the key. That is why I am here to get a few opinions, and after all what is a few inches among friends .. :D

I'd go #3 contour, no flutes. Just me though. Flutes only look cool, no other redeeming value. You might look at the offshoot McMillan company, Iota for a stock also. (don't know if they make an A-bolt stock, but supposedly a bit more affordable than a Mickey) Throat the .300 for the 215 Berger Hybrid. Go to LRH and do a search. Member named Broz over there has the .300 Win dialed. Then, call schmalts for the Leupold of your choice. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back