American Public Lands - photos from a Montana designated widerness area

onpoint

I am a shameless promoter of Wilderness Areas. As I get older, some places are getting tougher to get to - like this one in Montana's Madison Range. I just returned from what will be likely my last trip in there. Nonetheless, it owns a piece of me, as I do it - as well as all of us do. And I sleep better at night knowing it is up there. But literally just over the mountain lies a monument to the exclusivity money can buy and the very antithesis to the public land idea. Yeah, it is America and the folks over the mountain have the right to exercise their lifestyle. Let's all hope we as public land users get to keep practicing ours. Enjoy the photos..........cl1.JPGcl2.JPGcl3.JPGcl4.JPGcl5.JPGcl6.JPG

Wow, beautiful country. Have yet to trek into the Madisons. We are headed into the Taylor-Hilgard unit of the Lee Metcalf next weekend for the Perseid meteor shower. Should be a blast. Thanks for sharing.

Anytime I have been "over the mountain" I can't help but to hate it. It's a cancerous tumor upon the Madison Range.

Beautiful pictures. That looks like a well-fed cutty, and the type of place you never want to leave. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
it owns a piece of me, as I do it - as well as all of us do. And I sleep better at night knowing it is up there. But literally just over the mountain lies a monument to the exclusivity money can buy and the very antithesis to the public land idea. Yeah, it is America and the folks over the mountain have the right to exercise their lifestyle. Let's all hope we as public land users get to keep practicing ours.

Great post onpoint. I am familiar and I too have similar feelings - on all counts.

Although I'm somewhat insulated from it here in the Madison Valley, I hate knowing that I'm only 20 miles from a place like Big Sky.

I am surprised that an Alpine lake at that altitude can support a cut throat like that. I would think that it would almost freeze solid during the winter. That is a beautiful place and beautiful fish. Congrats on a making some great memories and sharing them with us.

Nice! That place has been on my list to get to one of these years.

Such an awesome lake. It's on my list to get to once the kids are a little older. Congrats on making that trip again - I hope it's not the last.

I've a friend who used to ride a dirt bike to the lip of that on the muddy basin side.

Although I'm somewhat insulated from it here in the Madison Valley, I hate knowing that I'm only 20 miles from a place like Big Sky.

The first year we went to Montana fishing in the area (we camped on Taylor Fork Rd), I had no idea about Big Sky. Thought it was just another town. Went into the grocery store one day and just about crapped my pants at the prices. Later on I learned about the Yellowstone Club and all the high rollers in the area.

Nice pictures and topic. I just got back from a too short trip to my favorite Montana wilderness (having to work sucks). Been there many times but first time for this drainage. Looking at the map, there are many more places left to visit, not to mention all the other wilderness areas in the country. Good reason to stay fit and healthy IMO.

0804171343_Burst01.jpg

0803171158_Burst01.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back