Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Antler Point Restrictions

LWC55

Happened to draw a unit that has some new restrictions this year. I couldn't find anything specific in the regs about the point restrictions. Appears that anything over an inch counts as a point....even brow tines. Is that correct? 3 points on the main beam with a 1" brow tine would satisfy the 4 point restriction?

Thanks

That is correct, but that brow tine has to be on the same side as the 3 points to meet the restriction per 2(c) of the General Hunting Regulations for Wyoming.

Last edited:
Yes brow tines count. A big 2x2 with a brow tine would satisfy that. Remember we don't count brow tines when talking points out west, but for regs they do. A 4x4 usually has brow tines making it a 5 pt for you non westerners. :)

Yes brow tines count. A big 2x2 with a brow tine would satisfy that. Remember we don't count brow tines when talking points out west, but for regs they do. A 4x4 usually has brow tines making it a 5 pt for you non westerners. :)

Better read the rule I mentioned because a 2x2 with a brow point would not satisfy that 4 point restriction he's asking about since the 4 points has to be on one side according to the Reg.! Unit 82 is a good example of the restriction requirement:

82 Oct. 1 Oct. 12 General Antlered mule deer four (4)
points or more on either antler
or any white-tailed deer

Last edited:
I think I have it. 4 points of 1" or longer on one side and it is legal.

10 point in Missouri. 2 brows and 8 more.

That's what I was asking 3 pt or 4 pt area? A brow does count if it's 1 in long but has to be with the other points to make it legal.
A brow and 3 makes 4, a brow and 2 makes 3. All points must be on one side.
You'll get a chuckle if you call them 10 pointers up here .:hump:

I think lot's of guys here in West Virginia flip em upside down and count the toes too.
Big doe makes an eight pointer for some poor people! Ha,Ha,Ha, hard to find good bucks in my part of the state alot of years. As many does as the state is allowing to be taken, it's getting hard to find deer at all in some national forest .

I sure would like to see state wide point restrictions here. Lots disagree, but it works in my opinion.

Last edited:
Can someone provide me with a link to the antler restrictions in wyoming? I am having a hard time finding it.

Note these are 2017 regs, subject to change still for 2018.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH5_BROCHURE.pdf

Page 6 and 7
“Antlered” means a deer, elk, or moose that has visible
antler growth plainly protruding from the skull. Where a
minimum number of antler points are specified, points shall
be counted on the side with the greater number of points.
“Point” means any protrusion from an antler one (1) inch
or more in length.

Then in deer season tables under limitation column it states if there is a point limitation. See Area 82 for example.

Not to derail the thread but I think the op's question has been answered, but I've always liked the 5x5 or 4x4 or 6x5 references for points. It just seems the most clear description. Yes typically an 8 pointer or 4 pointer is a 4x4 and that's usually easy to understand but I've seen a few 4x6s, whitetail, and I've always wondered what people call them using the pointer method. I just prefer 5x5 or 6x4, seems easiest.

So if it says 4 points to a side for a specific area that would count a brow tine + 3 more. Since its Any point protruding. Gotcha

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back