6 Million YouTube Views

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
It was just May 29th when I posted that we had crossed 5 million YouTube views. Today, just over two months later, we passed 6 Million views.

6MM YT.jpg

Amazing how fast this platform is growing and how much additional information we can distribute when compared to the TV platform. We are at a crossroads right now as to whether or not we sign a TV contract for another year, or just push away from the dock and bid TV a fond farewell.

If you are inclined to share our channel or our videos, it is a great help. A lot of ad agencies are watching our progress and realizing that TV is not the requirement some have always thought it to be.

Thanks a ton for supporting our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe here (it's free) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQOcUD2aFxEjc-_4JJBLYyg

Selfishly speaking, my family is "cutting the cord" when our contract is up in October, so our vote is that you leave TV behind.

Amazing what can happen when someone puts out a great product and has the right morals behind it. Appreciate all you do and always look forward to the next videos. Congrats!

It was just May 29th when I posted that we had crossed 5 million YouTube views. Today, just over two months later, we passed 6 Million views.

View attachment 72954

Amazing how fast this platform is growing and how much additional information we can distribute when compared to the TV platform. We are at a crossroads right now as to whether or not we sign a TV contract for another year, or just push away from the dock and bid TV a fond farewell.

If you are inclined to share our channel or our videos, it is a great help. A lot of ad agencies are watching our progress and realizing that TV is not the requirement some have always thought it to be.

Thanks a ton for supporting our YouTube Channel. You can subscribe here (it's free) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQOcUD2aFxEjc-_4JJBLYyg

Not that it probably matters to you but I'm of that generation that loves my TV and will never give it up. Just too late in life to change old habits I guess. I understand your thinking (I think?) so will do what's best for your business and wish you the best.

Congratulations and keep it up. Great content is what has built up your critical mass to this tipping point. So many people love what you guys do. I don't envy the decision that you and your production team will have to make. Good luck.
All I can humbly and modestly offer is that most of my friends in rural western Colorado have bailed on satellite or Cable TV a long time ago (10 or more years for me). We all pretty much have good enough internet access that we run streaming channels/options only. I love being able to search for and watch previous seasons and episodes "on Demand." For example, the NM archery elk episode when you stuck the bull at 6 yards! One of my favorites and I can basically watch it anytime.
Heck, I would even be happy to pay a small subscription fee to your YouTube channel, which is great content. The alternative is paying a much larger fee for satellite and never watching anything but outdoor adventure type stuff every once in a while, never really justifying the cost. I guess that is why none of my friends have it. We just go out and live it instead. But, when it's cold in January, application season, or hot in July, it sure is nice to watch a couple episodes of OYOA.
Thanks for all your hard work keeping up the good fight.

Last edited:
Congrats Randy, it's no accident.

If it weren't for college football and the weather guessers....

We don't have TV, regardless we don't get the networks the show is on in Canada either way so I watch everything I can on youtube.

That's some amazing growth. This is a slight tangent but could the show be on CarbonTV? I don't know anything about their business or how they decide what shows to air but it could be another alternative to mainstream TV.

Just last night I pulled up all the hunts from New Mexico with Corey on my phone using the YouTube app and Chromecast to my TV. Its great.

Cool BF!
I'm a one in 6 million kinda guy!
I was going to run my tv thru my laptop to watch the final day of the NM to see if that was where I thought it was,for bigger picture.
But you mentioned the elevation and then I knew that I knew...lol
No way I could get out of that canyon anymore. Hard to glass up there now the aspens have grown so much.
I still don't know how you guys see thru those dense stands of dead timber....patience & young I guess. Sure can see how big that fire was in your shots. Very green this year.

Pretty sure I have contributed a few hundred of those views. Really love your content.

We don't do tv, so all of our stuff is streaming via web. That said, what do you feel provides you the greatest influence and legitimacy? Does TV give you a stronger voice for public land, hunting, etc?

Kids and I watch every sunday morning. As a family that did away with TV years ago I vote for online only.

I guess I'm the odd man out. Though I watch the YT videos when I'm emailed the link, I would sorely miss not having it on TV too.

That's some amazing growth. This is a slight tangent but could the show be on CarbonTV? I don't know anything about their business or how they decide what shows to air but it could be another alternative to mainstream TV.

I was on Carbon at one time. They had exclusivity deals (not sure if it is still that way), meaning they want our content with them and nowhere else. That is a non-starter for us.

I guess I'm the odd man out. Though I watch the YT videos when I'm emailed the link, I would sorely miss not having it on TV too.

I wish it was easier to be on both. I would love to keep the connection to folks who will still use TV. But for reasons I'll explain below, it's unfortunately hard to justify.

The network fee we pay is closer to $100K than it is to $0 (can't give amount due to confidentiality in the agreements). It is hard to justify paying that huge fee to reach so few people, be forced to cut content to the specific guidelines they require, have them sell the ad units they control in our show to companies that compete with the sponsors of our show, to have contracts that want so many handcuff and rights that you would have to ask "Who is paying who under this agreement," and assorted other challenges.

I get that some people really want to be on TV and they will pay the network large sums to see themselves on TV. We have a business plan with a WHY that still says, "Provide a voice for self-guided public land hunting and create advocates to that cause." That is what drives my daily efforts. When I see ways we can accomplish that with no cash outlay to network and get paid by an open-source platform to reach far more viewers currently not being reached with TV, my business sense tells me to head that direction.

The network knows I would like to be on both. If they can find a way to make it work, I'm all ears. They know that, so hopefully something will materialize, but given we hit the road in two weeks and we have to decide what format and style we will shoot this upcoming content, the TV window seems to be closing.

My wife is going to wonder exactly how much time I am spending watching these Youtube videos.

We have not had cable for many years - my wife is OK with broadcast TV, and most of what I watch are the Randy Newberg videos. No interest in the usual TV show.

One suggestion - I liked the DVDs and the download subscription. I have gotten hooked on the free Youtube videos but liked being able to subscribe to the High definition version.

Question - does it impact HuntTalk if we skip the ads?

We still have tv and I watch both YouTube and tv show. I would say do what's best for promoting public land hunting and the lands and the values we cherish. Keep up the good work, I appreciate it, you have inspired this Missouri boy to do all I can to hunt out west every year and do what I can to protect those lands. Thanks again.

Curious .. what matters more, subscribers or views? Guessing subscribers for the revenue and views for the exposure? Either way its great.

I haven't had TV since moving out from my parents. My wife and I stream everything and all I see are YouTube videos and listening to the podcast. The only thing I pay for is MLB tv so I can watch my Braves wherever I am. I'm also in the camp of do what makes sense for your goal.

Back