Randy Newberg's position on grizzly bear hunting

I could never be on board with any tag going for 6k.I have no problem with the $50 as I thought Randy meant a considerable amount more.Its a special hunt ,yes, but lets not put it out of reach for 90% of the hunting public.Yes, most of us have 6k,but most of us also wouldnt consider 6k disposable income either.So if your a resident anyone can afford it,but if your a NR you have to consider 6k as lunch money;sounds fair

What about eating griz?
I know several folks out of Tok that will harvest a griz eating blueberries and eat them.

I am a meat hunter and hope not shoot a bear unless I am going to enjoy the meat.
(I've had many charges by griz in the past 30 years, but never shot one)

Nothing wrong with a $50 application fee. Thanks for the clarification.

You are following my comment about an application fee as separate from the tag fee. Some comments seem to see the app fee and tag fee as one in the same. I thInk each state already has a statutory tag fee. I am referring to the application fee.

$6,000 sounds about right for a non resident. Around 300lbs of succulent grizzly bear meat will come at a premium. $20/lb for the non resident and .15/lb for residents. Sounds about right.

Wonder what %of the meat is trichinosis cysts? I would think that like blackies the fall meat would be much better eating than the spring meat. Probably a good reason to only have fall hunts. GJ

Wonder what %of the meat is trichinosis cysts? I would think that like blackies the fall meat would be much better eating than the spring meat. Probably a good reason to only have fall hunts. GJ

Best to assume all bears have trich. It is easily killed through low temp cooking. I don't believe MT FWP even offers testing any longer?

Steve Rinella can tell you how well low temperature cooking works on trichinosis cysts. The meat needs to be well done. GJ

I'm tracking where you're going with the DMA restrictions now, Randy after reading through the study more; I do find it interesting that a status review would look at the entire GYE which includes areas outside the DMA and PCA. I had never heard of the army cutworm moth and was very surprised to read how nutritionally significant this species can be to a grizzlies diet. The grizzly is trending nicely and the breadth of effort in getting this species delisted is remarkable.

Belly-deep, you are obviously one of those guys that will argue anything.

Have a nice day.

Rinella got trichinosis roasting meat at "low temp". Be my guest. GJ

If you listen to the podcast Rinella says they got trich from basically eating raw bear, not bear cooked uniformly at a low temp. The 165 temp is given because if the meat reaches that temp trich will die instantly, alternatively you can cook at a much lower temp for a longer period of time and kill it. There is also a wide margin of error built into cooking thresholds because the FDW realizes people are dumb, they know that someone might not get the thermometer all the way in so the outside edge of a roast might be 140 but the center is 120.

The most effective way to cook a bear steak is to use the sous vide method, I like to do my steaks for 4-5 hours at 137 with a quick sear before I server it, for texture.

https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

It appears this may have gone officially off topic with the trich comments. Need to be able to legally hunt one to run through the risk of eating one and encountering trichinosis...

Let's stick to the primary discussion. Other feedback or updates of note?

Why not have a list of hunters ready to ride with the game warden when they go to kill a problem bear? That way a bear who was going to die would become a trophy for someone.

Does does anyone have a link to the proposed hunting regulations? I remember they were quite restrictive.

Belly-deep, you are obviously one of those guys that will argue anything.

Have a nice day.

I'm always open to new ideas. If you can cite me a legitimate source - as in a laboratory or govt agency that says 137 - I'd be interested to see it. But I've always heard 165, so when some anonymous poster says 137 with no supporting evidence, then yeah, l'll happily dispute.

I'm always open to new ideas. If you can cite me a legitimate source - as in a laboratory or govt agency that says 137 - I'd be interested to see it. But I've always heard 165, so when some anonymous poster says 137 with no supporting evidence, then yeah, l'll happily dispute.

Anyone saying they slow cook to take care of the pathogen better rethink their method in case they get some infected meat, as the following was C/Pd right from the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website and has nothing in it that shows slow cooking of wild game will assure killing of the pathogen:

The best way to prevent trichinellosis is to cook meat to safe temperatures. A food thermometer should be used to measure the internal temperature of cooked meat. Do not sample meat until it is cooked. USDA recommends the following for meat preparation.
For Whole Cuts of Meat (excluding poultry and wild game)
Cook to at least 145° F (63° C) as measured with a food thermometer placed in the thickest part of the meat, then allow the meat to rest* for three minutes before carving or consuming.
For Ground Meat (excluding poultry and wild game)
Cook to at least 160° F (71° C); ground meats do not require a rest* time.
For Wild Game (whole cuts and ground)
Cook to at least 160° F (71° C).

For All Poultry (whole cuts and ground)
Cook to at least 165° F (74° C), and for whole poultry allow the meat to rest* for three minutes before carving or consuming.
*According to USDA, "A 'rest time' is the amount of time the product remains at the final temperature, after it has been removed from a grill, oven, or other heat source. During the three minutes after meat is removed from the heat source, its temperature remains constant or continues to rise, which destroys pathogens."

Last edited:
From: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm

Cooking - Commercial preparation of pork products by cooking requires that meat be heated to internal temperatures which have been shown to inactivate trichinae. For example, Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 52 C (125.6 F), in 6 minutes at 55
C (131 F), and in < 1 minute at 60 C (140 F). It should be noted that these times and temperatures apply only when the product reaches and maintains temperatures evenly distributed throughout the meat. Alternative methods of heating, particularly the use of microwaves, have been shown to give different results, with parasites not completely inactivated when product was heated to reach a prescribed end-point temperature. The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations for processed pork products reflects experimental data, and requires pork to be cooked for 2 hours at 52.2 C (126 F), for 15 minutes at 55.6 C (132 F), and for 1 minute at 60 C (140 F).

The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends that consumers of fresh pork cook the product to an internal temperature of 71 C or 160 F. Although this is considerably higher than temperatures at which trichinae are killed (about 55 C or 131 F), it allows for different methods of cooking which do not always result in even distribution of temperature throughout the meat. It should be noted that heating to 77 C (171 F) or 82 C (180 F) was not completely effective when cooking was performed using microwaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back