Randy Newberg's position on grizzly bear hunting

I wonder how many bears the Native Americans will decide to take. I see in Washington State they decided to start hunting them on and off the reservation although no Non Native Americans are allowed too.

I would love to hunt a Montana Grizzly, it and the Bison are the only Big Game animals I haven't taken. I think the fee should be low enough that a working man can put in, but high enough that it makes you think twice. I like the idea of the Back Country hunts at least in the beginning seasons. Having Grizzlies taken closer to communities makes sense to help out with problem bears like those that have taking place by Polson Montana recently. http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_f6430cf4-928a-588a-84e2-bf655357fcd9.html I think in time there won't be any great reason to use Photos to sway public oppinions on the hunts, especially after any oversight. My .02 cents worth.

Like some of the others here, I agree with everything except the significant non refundable application fee. Just because someone can't afford to pay a significant fee just to apply doesn't mean that they aren't a person who would be a dedicated hunter. It does however increase the odds for someone who can afford the fee.

Like some of the others here, I agree with everything except the significant non refundable application fee. Just because someone can't afford to pay a significant fee just to apply doesn't mean that they aren't a person who would be a dedicated hunter. It does however increase the odds for someone who can afford the fee.

What the Irishman said.

What are the proposed regs on taking the meat?

Would this be a fall hunt?

Is taking the hide/skull while leaving the meat in the field ethical or legal?

The easy way to define a dedicated hunter is one who has taken an online griz course and who has a certain number of years of hunting licenses in that state.

Peasants need not hunt the King's quarry.

Just imagine the "not looking for anyone's honey hole or GPS coordinates but I drew a griz permit and have no idea where to go" posts?

Here's somebody else's opinion.. Many of these totally make sense. :D

Joe Gutkoski's view.

The first 5 points are going to destroy the whole "multiple use" idea of public lands. Does Joe realize we are talking about hunting in Montana not the brooks range. "1. Stop maintaining trails within the grizzly hunting areas." ...Seriously...I'm assuming Joe is being hyperbolic here

Last edited:
All other things aside, those who do not know Joe and his history - he's getting way up there, but he's the real deal and has chunks of many lesser guys in his stool. He's way too humble to put it that way, though...........

'Don't know how many here know Joe Gutkoski, but recognize that he is a retired USFS employee who has hiked, hunted, camped, skied, and cherished Montana's mountains and streams for decades. Although small in physical stature, he is one of the largest and toughest real life characters I know. Having just celebrated his ninetieth (that's right 90th) birthday, he likely will put in for a grizzly hunting permit if ever available again. You probably won't see him out hunting, but you might be lucky enough to encounter him coming down the trail with his vintage canvas backpack full of bear meat and his stick & string bow hung on his shoulder.

For many decades, Joe has been like a one-man choir advocating on behalf of Montana's wildlife, fish, rivers, streams, mountains, and plains. Much like the large persona of Big Fin, Joe is the real deal!

Finishing up my life insurance, so if Joe wants to get me a tag - I'll follow the other rules.

I like the idea of having a higher application fee - not to favor the "rich" but rather to keep out the non-dedicated. There should be a balance of paying for a chance for the opportunity versus pricing dedicated folks out. I would argue though, at least in MT - our license fees are too cheap across the board. So chances are the application cost won't be as much as going to a concert at the new Kettlehouse venue in Bonner.

I really like the other points. If you get a tag - you have a responsibility to get it right the first time. Penalties against you if you don't understand the responsibility. Give you resources to get the job done ethically and utilize the animal to it's utmost.

After some quick thought about discussions on preferences, applications fees and bunch of other criteria. How about a simple, eligible applicants will need to send in a copy of their Montana issued "Birth Certificate". Live long residents get preference.

Reality is that likely nobody reading this thread will ever be lucky enough to know anybody that will be hunting grizzlies in Montana, and it has little to do with how much the permit or application fee will cost.

I agree with about 90% of al of this. Something that is touched but not discussed is we all believe we are "dedicated"... Well prove it, this is the time. I feel if MT wants to hand out Griz tags, I'm down to apply... I think the state needs to make the effort to the animal itself also. You want to apply here is what I would like to see:

24 hours of in class, (that's 3- 8 hour days) taught by state trusted and licensed Grizzly experts. To include state land, FWP laws etc. Not some computer based training any schmo can google up some answers and do while they take a morning deuce. You want to apply for this tag, you cant, until you pass this class. Make it located in Bozeman or Helena, wherever... You take the time off work, travel and attend. That is the cost of admission. Plus well the non refundable 50-100 bucks. We already have the ever so easy annual bear CBT anyways....

Cost of the tag should be in-line with other Top tier animals... maybe a few bucks more.

Lifetime, you draw, that is it, no do overs.

I honestly would not be 100% against some rule, you have to have a "guide", and I will leave that loose. Also another set of eyes isn't a bad thing when deep in the woods.

I do like the spring/fall tag idea, would give the hunter the time to pick their trophy, because let's face it. I would have a full body mount, next to the front door....

I honestly would not be 100% against some rule, you have to have a "guide", and I will leave that loose. Also another set of eyes isn't a bad thing when deep in the woods.

The problem with any kind of required guide is it automatically makes the hunt out of reach of most people just based on cost. Given the price of guided hunts in general and the premium on this one I bet it would cost at least 10k for a 5 day hunt. If I were to draw a once in a life time tag like this I would make sure I was really putting in the boot leather and making the most of experience and would probably try and hunt 20+ days between a spring and fall season. Who but the uber wealthy are going to have $50,000 to do something like that?

Back