Yeti GOBOX Collection

Randy Newberg's position on grizzly bear hunting

I agree with about 90% of al of this. Something that is touched but not discussed is we all believe we are "dedicated"... Well prove it, this is the time. I feel if MT wants to hand out Griz tags, I'm down to apply... I think the state needs to make the effort to the animal itself also. You want to apply here is what I would like to see:

24 hours of in class, (that's 3- 8 hour days) taught by state trusted and licensed Grizzly experts. To include state land, FWP laws etc. Not some computer based training any schmo can google up some answers and do while they take a morning deuce. You want to apply for this tag, you cant, until you pass this class. Make it located in Bozeman or Helena, wherever... You take the time off work, travel and attend. That is the cost of admission. Plus well the non refundable 50-100 bucks. We already have the ever so easy annual bear CBT anyways....

Cost of the tag should be in-line with other Top tier animals... maybe a few bucks more.

Lifetime, you draw, that is it, no do overs.

I honestly would not be 100% against some rule, you have to have a "guide", and I will leave that loose. Also another set of eyes isn't a bad thing when deep in the woods.

I do like the spring/fall tag idea, would give the hunter the time to pick their trophy, because let's face it. I would have a full body mount, next to the front door....

Will there be a test at the conclusion of class?

Given I think it was $45 million the states spent to delist Grizzlies and give us this opportunity, a $200 non refundable app fee is just fine with me. If you want it, you will save for it, and if you still can't afford it, then you are not dedicated enough. Let's be honest $200 doesn't break anyone's bank who is on this forum.

I wonder how many bears the Native Americans will decide to take. I see in Washington State they decided to start hunting them on and off the reservation although no Non Native Americans are allowed too.

Can you please provide data on this as I don't believe it is true. A relative of mine works on the only reservation in Washington that has Grizzlies...

Well said Gerald Martin, Thank you, as a Middle class Montana family we are in the same boat. We live here in Montana for a life style of hunting, fishing and the great outdoors, not to make great living, but we as a family pay our bills and have a happy life style and home.

Who ever made the riff-raff comment it was not a wise choice of words. What is considered riff-raff, I know kids (including mine) in their early 20's that are that are really good hunters but are just getting started in life. Everyone that can afford to put in for a draw should have a opportunity, but make grizzlies once in a life time and pool them in with the moose, sheep and goats tags. Those tags should all be once in a life time, my opinion.

Last edited:
Well said Gerald Martin, Thank you, as a Middle class Montana family we are in the same boat. We live here in Montana for a life style of hunting, fishing and the great outdoors, not to make great living, but we as a family pay our bills and have a happy life style and home.

Who ever made the riff-raff comment it was not a wise choice of words. What is considered riff-raff, I know kids (including mine) in their early 20's that are that are really good hunters but are just getting started in life. Everyone that can afford to put in for a draw should have a opportunity, but make grizzlies once in a life time and pool them in with the moose, sheep and goats tags. Those tags should all be once in a life time, my opinion.

An elitist hunter must have made the riff-raff comment. :D

No where in that article does it say that tribes are hunting Grizzlies on and off the reservation. It says they "might" continue that traditional practice that has not happened in ages. Big difference from what shoots straight said.

Never said it did, just the only article I could find reference WA tribes and Grizzlies.

This will be the most sought after tag. I agree with most of Randy's points. It deserves a fee at the top of the pile but still affordable to regular folks. I have no problem with modest seasons when death loss is low enough to warrant. My biggest concern is outfitters and their big money clients. Montanans have put up with the griz expansion and made the sacrifices. They should get the tags. On another note, I hope there is no Governors or auction tags. They could turn this hunt into a fair chase joke as the outfitters have made the sheep tag!
Joe

Last edited:
I agree 100% with having to take a class BEFORE applying. The education requirement would filter the "rif raf" much more effectively than a financial barrier. Some of the hardest working most dedicated outdoorsmen I know count their wealth by days in the field not dollars in the bank....

I'm confused seriously. If the beer population warrants hunting as a management for game and fish. Why would the requirements be different than black bear hunting?

I'm confused seriously. If the beer population warrants hunting as a management for game and fish. Why would the requirements be different than black bear hunting?

I dont know of any beer population that warrants hunting for management. I just drink 'em...

:)

Black bear pops are much larger and I suspect faster growing. There is a lot more slop to play with in regulating them. Not so much in Grizzlies where numbers are small and mistakes of over hunting could be severe. Hence, to maximize opportunities care to avoid shooting sows with cubs or under-aged animals etc. would be more important.

typo, sorry maybe beer is on my mind and not bear!

I think it was a Freudian slip. You are to be commended for having your mind in a good place.

I was thinking about these

beer_239415.jpg

Back