Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I agree with about 90% of al of this. Something that is touched but not discussed is we all believe we are "dedicated"... Well prove it, this is the time. I feel if MT wants to hand out Griz tags, I'm down to apply... I think the state needs to make the effort to the animal itself also. You want to apply here is what I would like to see:

24 hours of in class, (that's 3- 8 hour days) taught by state trusted and licensed Grizzly experts. To include state land, FWP laws etc. Not some computer based training any schmo can google up some answers and do while they take a morning deuce. You want to apply for this tag, you cant, until you pass this class. Make it located in Bozeman or Helena, wherever... You take the time off work, travel and attend. That is the cost of admission. Plus well the non refundable 50-100 bucks. We already have the ever so easy annual bear CBT anyways....

Cost of the tag should be in-line with other Top tier animals... maybe a few bucks more.

Lifetime, you draw, that is it, no do overs.

I honestly would not be 100% against some rule, you have to have a "guide", and I will leave that loose. Also another set of eyes isn't a bad thing when deep in the woods.

I do like the spring/fall tag idea, would give the hunter the time to pick their trophy, because let's face it. I would have a full body mount, next to the front door....

The Missoulian felt this garbage was fit to print..........

http://missoulian.com/opinion/column...70f446d67.html
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

The Missoulian??? Nooo...
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice

Rockin' HT's 2017 MLB Champion - Hall of Famer. Giving Pete Rose a run for his $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddmn View Post
    I honestly would not be 100% against some rule, you have to have a "guide", and I will leave that loose. Also another set of eyes isn't a bad thing when deep in the woods.
    The problem with any kind of required guide is it automatically makes the hunt out of reach of most people just based on cost. Given the price of guided hunts in general and the premium on this one I bet it would cost at least 10k for a 5 day hunt. If I were to draw a once in a life time tag like this I would make sure I was really putting in the boot leather and making the most of experience and would probably try and hunt 20+ days between a spring and fall season. Who but the uber wealthy are going to have $50,000 to do something like that?

I agree with Randy and he has some well thought out ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddmn View Post
    I agree with about 90% of al of this. Something that is touched but not discussed is we all believe we are "dedicated"... Well prove it, this is the time. I feel if MT wants to hand out Griz tags, I'm down to apply... I think the state needs to make the effort to the animal itself also. You want to apply here is what I would like to see:

24 hours of in class, (that's 3- 8 hour days) taught by state trusted and licensed Grizzly experts. To include state land, FWP laws etc. Not some computer based training any schmo can google up some answers and do while they take a morning deuce. You want to apply for this tag, you cant, until you pass this class. Make it located in Bozeman or Helena, wherever... You take the time off work, travel and attend. That is the cost of admission. Plus well the non refundable 50-100 bucks. We already have the ever so easy annual bear CBT anyways....

Cost of the tag should be in-line with other Top tier animals... maybe a few bucks more.

Lifetime, you draw, that is it, no do overs.

I do like the spring/fall tag idea, would give the hunter the time to pick their trophy, because let's face it. I would have a full body mount, next to the front door....
    Will there be a test at the conclusion of class?

Given I think it was $45 million the states spent to delist Grizzlies and give us this opportunity, a $200 non refundable app fee is just fine with me. If you want it, you will save for it, and if you still can't afford it, then you are not dedicated enough. Let's be honest $200 doesn't break anyone's bank who is on this forum.
    Coal. Guns. Freedom.

Randy gave some things to think about in this Mountain Outlaw article on Grizzly bear hunting. http://www.mtoutlaw.com/to-kill-a-grizzly/

Quote Originally Posted by shoots-straight View Post
    I wonder how many bears the Native Americans will decide to take. I see in Washington State they decided to start hunting them on and off the reservation although no Non Native Americans are allowed too.
    Can you please provide data on this as I don't believe it is true. A relative of mine works on the only reservation in Washington that has Grizzlies...
    Coal. Guns. Freedom.

Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by neffa3 View Post
    No where in that article does it say that tribes are hunting Grizzlies on and off the reservation. It says they "might" continue that traditional practice that has not happened in ages. Big difference from what shoots straight said.
    Coal. Guns. Freedom.

Well said Gerald Martin, Thank you, as a Middle class Montana family we are in the same boat. We live here in Montana for a life style of hunting, fishing and the great outdoors, not to make great living, but we as a family pay our bills and have a happy life style and home.

Who ever made the riff-raff comment it was not a wise choice of words. What is considered riff-raff, I know kids (including mine) in their early 20's that are that are really good hunters but are just getting started in life. Everyone that can afford to put in for a draw should have a opportunity, but make grizzlies once in a life time and pool them in with the moose, sheep and goats tags. Those tags should all be once in a life time, my opinion.
    Last edited by Bowhunter65; 01-12-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter65 View Post
    Well said Gerald Martin, Thank you, as a Middle class Montana family we are in the same boat. We live here in Montana for a life style of hunting, fishing and the great outdoors, not to make great living, but we as a family pay our bills and have a happy life style and home.

Who ever made the riff-raff comment it was not a wise choice of words. What is considered riff-raff, I know kids (including mine) in their early 20's that are that are really good hunters but are just getting started in life. Everyone that can afford to put in for a draw should have a opportunity, but make grizzlies once in a life time and pool them in with the moose, sheep and goats tags. Those tags should all be once in a life time, my opinion.
    An elitist hunter must have made the riff-raff comment.
    Wood is Good treefarmsystem.org

Quote Originally Posted by 375H&H View Post
    No where in that article does it say that tribes are hunting Grizzlies on and off the reservation. It says they "might" continue that traditional practice that has not happened in ages. Big difference from what shoots straight said.
    Never said it did, just the only article I could find reference WA tribes and Grizzlies.
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

I made the rif Raf comment. I was being sarcastic. Yes I am an elitist hunter. Coincidentally I am also rif Raf.

This will be the most sought after tag. I agree with most of Randy's points. It deserves a fee at the top of the pile but still affordable to regular folks. I have no problem with modest seasons when death loss is low enough to warrant. My biggest concern is outfitters and their big money clients. Montanans have put up with the griz expansion and made the sacrifices. They should get the tags. On another note, I hope there is no Governors or auction tags. They could turn this hunt into a fair chase joke as the outfitters have made the sheep tag!
    Joe
    Last edited by Pierre; 01-13-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: addition

I agree 100% with having to take a class BEFORE applying. The education requirement would filter the "rif raf" much more effectively than a financial barrier. Some of the hardest working most dedicated outdoorsmen I know count their wealth by days in the field not dollars in the bank....
    When I die, spread me over the Mission mountains so I can watch the Sunset over Flathead for eternity!

I'm confused seriously. If the beer population warrants hunting as a management for game and fish. Why would the requirements be different than black bear hunting?
    " You know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians. Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest!"

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 88man View Post
    I'm confused seriously. If the beer population warrants hunting as a management for game and fish. Why would the requirements be different than black bear hunting?
    Sign me up
    Name:  BeerPopulation.png
Views: 82
Size:  168.7 KB

I dont know of any beer population that warrants hunting for management. I just drink 'em...

Black bear pops are much larger and I suspect faster growing. There is a lot more slop to play with in regulating them. Not so much in Grizzlies where numbers are small and mistakes of over hunting could be severe. Hence, to maximize opportunities care to avoid shooting sows with cubs or under-aged animals etc. would be more important.

typo, sorry maybe beer is on my mind and not bear!
    " You know what Jim Bridger said about the Indians. Just when your not seeing any is about the time they are fixing to get the thickest!"

typo, sorry maybe beer is on my mind and not bear!
    I think it was a Freudian slip. You are to be commended for having your mind in a good place.

I was thinking about these

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345