WY Unit 22

Gonewest

We're going on our first antelope hunt this year. I understand there is limited access and will have a gps with onx chip. I have a blm map. The question I have is how do I find out which roads are county roads and legal to drive on? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for the link!!

When you blow the map up you'll see that there are only 3 or 4 public roads that access the limited amount of accessible BLM land up in the northeast corner of 22. You'll definitely need that GPS and chip to make sure you're not trespassing and you'll just have to park in the legal spots where a road goes through the BLM and start walking and glassing the countryside. Good luck because it's a very tough hunt in country that doesn't look like it would hold any antelope.

I've got a whitetail tag for that area so I'll be laying down some boot leather. Good luck on the Antelope. I'll be in the unit next door chasing antelope.

When you blow the map up you'll see that there are only 3 or 4 public roads that access the limited amount of accessible BLM land up in the northeast corner of 22. You'll definitely need that GPS and chip to make sure you're not trespassing and you'll just have to park in the legal spots where a road goes through the BLM and start walking and glassing the countryside. Good luck because it's a very tough hunt in country that doesn't look like it would hold any antelope.

Hey Topgun,

I see I live fairly close to you. I'm a little south of Grand Rapids. Have you hunted 22 before?

I've got a whitetail tag for that area so I'll be laying down some boot leather. Good luck on the Antelope. I'll be in the unit next door chasing antelope.

Good luck to you too! I let you know if we come across any whitetails. When will you be out there?

I will be hunting 22 this fall also. I have been told it can be a tough hunt with lots of hunters and I am anxious to see the place for myself.
Wish everyone luck.
I would like to see some coyotes while I'm out antelope hunting.
Guess I'll see what I can find when I get there.

We were in 22 last year. We did not see a lot of hunters toward the NE side, and almost got an antelope in that area. Long story...
There were definitely more hunters along Irigaway Rd which leads toward the SE.

IN general the antelope were well versed in where the public vs private boundaries were located, especially second week of the season.

Enjoy the trip - it has some beautiful areas.

Hey Topgun,

I see I live fairly close to you. I'm a little south of Grand Rapids. Have you hunted 22 before?

I've hunted 23 and been all over the north part of 22 scouting antelope while deer hunting the area, but decided there are a lot better units to spend my time in for both species. I now spend almost all of my time out there every year on the west side of the Big Horns for antelope, deer, and elk and will be there again a good part of September and October when we're not helping friends on an archery elk hunt in AZ and a moose hunt in ID.

I will also be hunting 22 this fall. We'll be out there the first week. Hopefully in a full week we can drop something.

Gonewest/Topgun,

I'm also in the area in Michigan. I live in Grand Rapids. It's my first hunt out west and am really looking forward to it. Well, except for the lack of public land..

Good luck to you too! I let you know if we come across any whitetails. When will you be out there?

Due to schedules, me and my hunting partner will most likely be out there the first or second week of October.

Another Michigander here hunting 22 this year, I'll be there 2nd week, I'll be going it alone hopefully I can cross paths with something on public

Sorry, not from Michigan but I'm also hunting 22. I'll be there on the 16th of August trying to get one with my bow. I did some scouting last weekend and thought based on a few things that I had some good access to a large portion of BLM. Turned out that info was not accurate and the road I had planned on using was private. So, I scrambled and found some other areas to give a try. There were even a few goats around the spots I found. But as stated earlier, the large portion can at a minimum spell PRIVATE and know exactly what land to hang out on. There are a lot of goats in the unit but finding one worth shooting may prove challenging. I can tell you it won't happen from the road in your truck. Good luck everyone.

Anyone know if Falxa Rd. is a county rd where it joins Iragary Rd ? It shows up as a county rd on Johnson county mapserver, but not on Game @ Fish's PDF map of the unit. Thanks in advance !

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back