PEAX Equipment

What kind of data would help you hunt bears?

TheHunterBiologist

There is a lot of information out there on how to read black bear sign and about black bear ecology. I'm interested in additional data/information people think would also be helpful for hunting and viewing black bears. Read the list below for the type of data I think might help bear hunters. A biologist can NOT give exact GPS collar locations or the collar frequency.

We can do separate calculations for males and females and also for each season.

1. Average elevation used and maximum elevation.
2. Average slope and aspect used.
3. Forest type used.
4. Daily and weekly movement rates.
5. Seasonal diet.
6. Average distance from water.
7. Daily movement patterns relative to time of day.
8. Movement rates relative to temperature and moon phase.
9. Distance from roads and trails.
10. Bear population density and total population size within hunt units.

The goal here is to provide the best information for hunters or wildlife photographers where hunting aides are not allowed (e.g., bait or hounds).

Last edited:
i feel that any additional information that would be available, even if it is overwhelming, is more than helpful. there have been some interesting studies done in the past, that i found informative when i have come across them. one example is there was a study done on bear hibernation,(if i remember correctly, the study was on black bears only), and it was a surprise to me to find out most black bears do not build a den while hibernating, but most of the time find a natural shelter of some sort,(i.e. a down tree, a cluster of rocks, etc. that'll block the wind). so any additional information you'd be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

There will be a report on the CDFW region 6 webpage hunters will find useful for hunting bears in the eastern Sierra. Hopefully it won't be too overwhelming. Denning strategies of black bears vary by region. The wild bears in my area tend to den in rock piles, hollowed out trees, and under downed trees. I have not witnessed much excavation of dens in my area though we have only been investigating dens formally over the last couple years. Some hunters have actually been successful tracking bears in the snow to the bear's den site. It's common for some bears to venture in and out of their dens during the winter. Most dens are on south or southwest facing slopes where the snow will melt faster. One of the males we have collared was in a hollow tree under 30 feet of snow all winter. He dug himself out when the snow was about 20 feet in May.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back