Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

onXmaps Update

Vik

Hi All,

I got the update downloaded yesterday and played with it extensively. I am having several issues and I would like to know what others are experiencing. If these issues are widespread I will hope for a quick fix, but if it's limited to only a few phone models I may search for another mapping solution in case the fix doesn't come prior to September.

When I download a map for offline use I generally only have land ownership, logging, fire perimeters and roads as active layers. After downloading a pile of maps yesterday I switched to offline mode to see how that was functioning, and that is when the problems started. While online it was working flawlessly, my only complaint being that they removed the USA Topo basemap and the replacement isn't as good (very few topo lines with elevation labels and the shaded relief isn't as good). However, offline use was a different story:

1) After switching to offline I could not deactivate any layers, I wanted to view the satellite image without the national forest shading and so I turned the Gov Lands layer off, yet it was still present on the map. I also tried increasing transparency to no avail.

2) At the junctions of downloaded maps where edges slightly overlap, the shading for the national forest is additive, so at a particular corner where 3 downloaded maps have slight overlap the national forest shading is very dark.

3) The app is very, very laggy in offline mode.

I really like the updated user interface and the new layers they've added. I can work around the other stuff, but it feels like an inferior product compared to the previous update. I would like to know what other's are experiencing. If it is a common problem and folks write to request fixes, it will get done a lot faster. September is just around the corner!

Cheers

Hi All,

I got the update downloaded yesterday and played with it extensively. I am having several issues and I would like to know what others are experiencing. If these issues are widespread I will hope for a quick fix, but if it's limited to only a few phone models I may search for another mapping solution in case the fix doesn't come prior to September.

When I download a map for offline use I generally only have land ownership, logging, fire perimeters and roads as active layers. After downloading a pile of maps yesterday I switched to offline mode to see how that was functioning, and that is when the problems started. While online it was working flawlessly, my only complaint being that they removed the USA Topo basemap and the replacement isn't as good (very few topo lines with elevation labels and the shaded relief isn't as good). However, offline use was a different story:

1) After switching to offline I could not deactivate any layers, I wanted to view the satellite image without the national forest shading and so I turned the Gov Lands layer off, yet it was still present on the map. I also tried increasing transparency to no avail.

2) At the junctions of downloaded maps where edges slightly overlap, the shading for the national forest is additive, so at a particular corner where 3 downloaded maps have slight overlap the national forest shading is very dark.

I really like the updated user interface and the new layers they've added. I can work around the other stuff, but it feels like an inferior product compared to the previous update. I would like to know what other's are experiencing. If it is a common problem and folks write to request fixes, it will get done a lot faster. September is just around the corner!

Cheers

I can't chime in on the others but I am with you on the USA topo basemap, that was a let down. The biggest let down being few elevation marks...

With all due respect, this is not a question for onXmaps. I am in touch with them via there own support and feedback channels. This is a question for the hunttalk users who also use onXmaps. I asked the questions to get a sense for how widespread these issues are, and to encourage folks to submit support requests and feedback to onX so that these issues get fixed quickly or another solution is offered. I will be in the woods for 10 days with no service starting September 6th. I'd like to have my mapping/navigation system determined and working smoothly as far in advance as possible.

That said, thank you for pointing me to the sticky. I searched the forum for "onXmaps" and somehow missed that, I will keep an eye on it for sure.

Hi All,

Cheers

I have had the same issues. Plus the app crashes when the saved maps overlap. If I save a 150 mile map to get a general view of the area then save a 5 and or 10 mile map in the areas I need more details the app will crash when I zoom in to the detailed area map. My son lost all of his waypoints and tracks after he updated and now he can't even get them from Google Earth because it appears that isn't compatible with On X anymore. I wish they would roll out the old version until the hunting season was over. I have a hunt in Nevada that opened yesterday for antelope.

I haven't played with the new update yet but this definitely sounds concerning. I'm planning on relying on this app in a month from now.

I'm having the same issues. Plus I'm having a hard time saving 5 mile maps. Almost every time I try it fails for one reason or another.

I noticed a few layers are missing, the big game statistics layer was helpful, wish it would not have went away

Offline, looking at my saved maps, zooming in, 3 seconds later, the app crashes now. This is absolute horrible timing, right before I leave for my hunt starting Saturday. Unbelievable that they would do an update just before the hunting season. It was working great during my scouting but now I cannot use it. Guess I am going back to my old trusty Garmin. I should have known that something like this would not work, $30 wasted.

Exact same thing happens to me. I spent days downloading the high resolution maps of my hunting area and when I switch my phone to airplane mode and start the app, it crashes 3 seconds later. Completely worthless unless you have cell service which I won't. I've talked to customer service and they said they have been working on the issue. Even the guy I talked to at onX said he has the same problem with his phone and he works there! That was a wasted $100. Yesterday I bought the Gaia app for $30 and it works perfectly plus it has more basemaps than onX.

Glad I didn't go with onX after hearing these reviews. I haven't been on very many elk hunts where I had cell service.

What device are you using, Apple or Android? I know I had issues last year where my Android crash all the time but my Apple device was stable.

When it first updated I had to uninstall and install the app and re-download my maps but since then I have nothing to complain about. I'm using a galaxy s8 if that matters

Using onX on my computer has improved but it has gone to hell on my phone which is where I really need it to perform. I can't even exit out of it on my phone like you would any other app so it absolutely kills my battery.

If you have any recent version of Android or iOS battery usage in the background should be nothing. They both handle background usage very well. I never close any apps in android, OnX maps has used .01 of a percentage in the past few days.

Back