Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

South Dakota - Mule Deer

tmvikings

Due to work this year I have to stay closer to home so I'm planning a Sodak bow hunt around the last week of September all DIY. Been doing a lot of research on some public land spots and have it narrowed down to 3 spots. Really want to go around the Buffalo area but sounds like if your not a Sodak resident you can't hunt the Custer national forest area's? The other places are Fort Pierre national grasslands, and the Mission Ridge area hunting mostly BLM. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Where did you hear you can't hunt the NF as a non-resident? Might be true, but the first I have heard of it.

You do need a free permit from SDGFP to hunt in those NF due to them tracking hunter numbers.

You're right only a permit is needed. Now that I have that info and verified it from the DNR I think I have my mind made up on where to go. I enjoy doing the research on these hunts even more when its a 1st.

I am from the Buffalo area. If you have any questions I might be able to help you.

Good luck! We'll be heading out to try our hand in The Hills this year. I've hunted Ft Pierre Nat'l Grasslands before and there are/were good deer numbers around there but tricky hunting. Saw some dandy whitetails and had a nice muley give us the runaround while we were there.

Are you hunting September because that is the only time you can get away? Just asking because I have bow hunted SD several times and it can be really hot with little day time movement. The week before rifle season is my favorite.

Are you hunting September because that is the only time you can get away? Just asking because I have bow hunted SD several times and it can be really hot with little day time movement. The week before rifle season is my favorite.

Yes, only because of work.

Good luck I've seen a lot of mulies in SW Hills but no Shooters. What a stunning landscape I hope you enjoy it and post up some pics!!

Glass every bit of shade you can find, get out early, stay out until you can't see, and hunt close to water. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Have seen and hunted plenty of muleys in the Hills in November. Dumber than rocks and we've taken some nice ones the last few years

Good luck on the hunt. Three of us from MN are heading out there last week of October, we hunted 3.5 days last year and saw a ton of deer. Bucks were grouped up so bad we couldn't get it done. Hoping we can improve the odds late October plus stay 7 days this year.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back