Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

I see. Now I'm trying to figure out where the maps are stored so I can delete the first ones I made. I didn't center them properly and I'll want to manage them better.

You can delete them under the same tab where you save the offline maps. If you would like to go a step further, you can clear the cache on your app, but that will delete all the info you have downloaded.

Anyone else having their downloads shut down if their phone screen goes dark?
It's been taking quite a long time for downloads to finish (using the medium sized maps can take up to 5 minutes per map) which may be my connection or a busy server. If I don't actively keep my screen on while downloading the app will stop and gives an error. Phone is 2 months old Samsung S9.

Mthuntr, I have the same issue. I'm using the Samsung S8 and for now I just touch the screen to keep it open during the download. I bet there's a way in settings to turn off the sleep screen or whatever it's called.

Gonna update....I just found on mine that if I go to settings, then pick display, I can choose the screen time out tab and set it to 5 or 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Has anyone found a legend for various layer colors? Specifically I’m looking at the MT Big Game Distribution layer and see blue and green for elk, but no clue what they are. From the topography I’m guess green is general range and blue is winter range?? I’m sure there is a legend somewhere but I can’t find it online.

My tracks are not working properly. It doesn't follow my route at all. It just makes straight lines. I will start my tracks then walk a ways pull out my phone and it will show a straight line from my starting point to where I am. Then I'll walk further check my phone and it will show a straight line from my previous stop to my current location. No matter how winding my actual route was. Is there any way to fix this?

I'm a bona fide technophobe, but last night I took a big step and joined on-X. I'll freely admit the Fresh Tracks sweepstakes had something to do with it, but also the fact that I was out antelope scouting last Friday and wound up in several places where I really didn't know if I was on private land or BLM or what. My question is how does it work in places where cell signal is sparse or no -existent? When I was playing with it last night I was very impressed, but it seems to need to update constantly.

???

If you know where you will be ahead of time, you can download maps while you have cell service. Then when you lose cell service you have to use your saved offline maps. Do it before you enter the spotty cell signal areas. This worked great for me in NW Colorado 2 years ago.

I'm a bona fide technophobe, but last night I took a big step and joined on-X. I'll freely admit the Fresh Tracks sweepstakes had something to do with it, but also the fact that I was out antelope scouting last Friday and wound up in several places where I really didn't know if I was on private land or BLM or what. My question is how does it work in places where cell signal is sparse or no -existent? When I was playing with it last night I was very impressed, but it seems to need to update constantly.

???

There is an off-grid mode that allows you to download your areas of interest in advance - it also dramatically lowers your cell battery use as you can go into airplane mode. If you don't need hi- or mid- resolution satellite images it is fast and slick, covering 150 square mile of property lines, roads, etc. If you want hi/mid-resolution it is a little slow and fidgety grabbing numerous 5/10 mile squares so I would do from WiFi rather than cell, but should work either way.

I want to download the hi-res "off-grid" sections for my unit. It will take a while as it is a fairly big unit (huh, huh, he said 'big unit') so it will take a number of "tiles" to get it done. Once I do this and I later add some trail lines or some waypoint online in the web version, will these automatically sync with the phone and overlay the off-grid cached sections or will have have to re-download from scratch to get the new waypoints off-grid?

I want to download the hi-res "off-grid" sections for my unit. It will take a while as it is a fairly big unit (huh, huh, he said 'big unit') so it will take a number of "tiles" to get it done. Once I do this and I later add some trail lines or some waypoint online in the web version, will these automatically sync with the phone and overlay the off-grid cached sections or will have have to re-download from scratch to get the new waypoints off-grid?

From what I’ve seen, tracks and waypoints are separate entities that are not tied to the base maps so you shouldn’t have to Redownload anything.

I generally have seen some dwell time waiting for the web map to update with waypoints I take in the field though. Probably similar going the other way, so might not be instant.

I am sure someone here can answer this question for me.

I have used chips for years, but decided for $30 I would try the app a few months ago and picked up Montana. Since that time, I found out I drew another state and would like to purchase that one as well. Is it possible to buy different states at different times (different 1 year subscription dates)?

In the future, I will probably just spend the $99 and get all the states, but in the mean time, can I just add another state for an additional $30?

You can add elite (all states) for $15/month. Use it for that out of state hunt then drop back down to your regular premium level(one state). Just had my parntner do it for this wyoming hunt.

Is there anyway to downloaded larger sections of land in the medium or high resolution? Very time consuming to go tile by tile.

I getting sick of OnX maps on my phone. It takes an entire day to download maps in high res and heaven forbid if the phone does something while downloading because the app crashes and doesn't download the map. I've never seen an app crash more than OnX.

Anybody aware of how to turn off the green rectangles around your downloaded offline map segments? They are obviously necessary when downloading a number of contiguous portions, but later during offline use they can really clutter the display and distract from roads, etc.

Back