Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

I already have a subscription to one state. If I were to purchase one more state, could I use the "RANDY" promo code or is that only for first time customers?

You could use the promo code randy to upgrade to the Elite membership but the system will not allow you to purchase another Premium membership with the same email address

As a new subscriber, I find that the software says I can select up to 5 states. I've tried to select 2, WY and IA. The first gives me pretty reasonable detail, the second gives me almost nothing, less that I get from Google Earth.

You likely have the Premium single state membership. This gives you access to all the information for one state (public/private land, hunting info, etc). If you select other states, you can view the free data (hunting units) in those additional states but if you want the information like public and private land then you will need to upgrade to the Elite membership.

First, I want to say thanks for adjusting the symbology for Sections, and for denoting that State Wildlife Areas in CO versus State lands restricted to hunting!

Additional asks, for Alaska can you break out the National Preserve lands from the National Park currently they are both the same color which is problematic as you can hunt in one and not the other.
Also any chance you might add in the subunits in Alaska, it's currently a huge pain to deal with these...
Example: https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hunting/maps/huntmaps/pdf/dl027.pdf

Denali Example:

OnX
View attachment 84149

Preserve/Park
View attachment 84151

I will pass this information along to our team

You likely have the Premium single state membership. This gives you access to all the information for one state (public/private land, hunting info, etc). If you select other states, you can view the free data (hunting units) in those additional states but if you want the information like public and private land then you will need to upgrade to the Elite membership.

Thanks. that certainly would explain it. Maybe it is me, but I don't find this software to be wonderfully intuitive, especially what the ownership/rental plan really means. But I'll figure it out.

Is there an "easy way" to get from an OnX landowner listing to a phone number for that landowner? I ask because a lot of them are Trusts or LLCs with post office boxes for addresses (or no address at all), etc, or are you on your own for that?

Is there an "easy way" to get from an OnX landowner listing to a phone number for that landowner? I ask because a lot of them are Trusts or LLCs with post office boxes for addresses (or no address at all), etc, or are you on your own for that?

In MN county tax assessor is a good resource for that, and much of it has been moved online recently up here - but still tough with LLCs & partnerships.

Trusts are private instruments, so that is nearly impossible. LLCs must file with the Secretary of State, so the SOS has the organizer and registered agent as public information.

Finally got signed up yesterday. Cool stuff. Now I just gotta figure it all out. mtmuley

OnX is great but I have a few requests, which I don't think would be very difficult to incorporate:
1. Allow creation of folders for waypoints/routes/tracks so that content can be organized. Current method of filtering only by date of creation or content type makes it very frustrating trying to find specific waypoints.
2. Allow the base layer of roads/trails (light gray lines that are always on) to be turned on and off. In some areas they are fine, but I have seen areas where they are not helpful and would rather turn them right off.
3. Allow different colors to be selected for waypoint icons so that they aren't all red!
4. Add waypoint icon for glassing location (with a bino symbol). I use the lookout tower icon, but I'm surprised there is no bino icon!

I love using this tool, but with some minor tweaks it could be so much easier to use!

Thanks!

Randy inspired me to pick up a new state chip since you now have historic fire info.
I downloaded Basecamp and inserted the chip into my PC, searched through the dropdowns, but don't see the fire data anywhere.... what am I doing wrong?

I may be missing something, but having to download 9 adjacent hi res map sections each as a separate process is a huge pain in the butt, I should be able to select the whole area of interest, and then the resolution level and have the work done as a batch. Is there a solution I am missing, or if not please put it on your to do list. Thanks.

Last edited:
Most downloadable map source providers have restrictions on bandwidth, otherwise guys will download the whole state and lock up their server(s).

I just finished #51 for my Elk unit and still have my Antelope area to do.

Last edited:
Most downloadable map source providers have restrictions on bandwidth, otherwise guys will download the whole state and lock up their server(s).

I just finished #51 for my Elk unit and still have my Antelope area to do.

Of course there is a point where there has to be limits, but since the target market is hunters you shouldn't need 20 separate downloads to do one mid-sized antelope unit. This seems more like poor design than good bandwidth management from my perspective. Even if they are that bandwidth constrained then they could throttle the rate of download and have it take a little longer but not require the 20 independent processes. Other products I have used in the past, including traditional garmin products and another iphone app seemed to get this right. Frankly, this gap is going to cause me to look around for alternatives when my subscription runs out.

Last edited:
Randy inspired me to pick up a new state chip since you now have historic fire info.
I downloaded Basecamp and inserted the chip into my PC, searched through the dropdowns, but don't see the fire data anywhere.... what am I doing wrong?
Any help is appreciated

Any help is appreciated

Hello justdada,
The Historic wildfire information is only available on the mobile phone app and computer Web Map on our website.
Since the chip has to communicate with the Garmin GPS unit and Basecamp in a certain way, there is no way to adjust different layers like you can on the app, sorry for any confusion.
With your Hunt Chip, you would have received a redemption code on the inside of the packaging that would give you access to all that information, all you will need to do is follow the directions to redeem the code, create your account, then log in and you will be able to see that information.
Feel free to give us a call at 406-540-1600 or email [email protected] if you have any other questions.

In Oregon, we have travel management areas, in which many roads within a given TMA are closed during hunting seasons. OnX has the travel management area layer for Oregon, but it doesn’t highlight which roads are open during hunting season. It’s not a big deal, as ODFW has maps detailing which roads are open and which are not, but it gets pretty annoying switching back and forth between the ODFW map and OnX. Is there a way to highlight the open roads?

I used to convert and import the geopdf into my Garmin but for the phone app I have to create tracks for the open roads; same for Wyoming county roads.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back