Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

Is the forest visitor layer the one most folks are using for topo? It would be great to get some standard USGS topos as an option (the fv maps don't seem as detailed). When an offline map is created, what layers are downloaded (all active, etc)?

Is the forest visitor layer the one most folks are using for topo? It would be great to get some standard USGS topos as an option (the fv maps don't seem as detailed). When an offline map is created, what layers are downloaded (all active, etc)?

You can no longer select basemaps for download. When you save a map it saves the topo, satellite, and satellite with topo overlay basemaps, then when using it offline you can switch between these 3 basemap options (see my post above regarding 5 mi vs 10 mi resolution downloads).

The forest visitor layer simply adds various labels to landmarks, etc. The USA topo basemap that was available in the old version is no longer available (this was the basemap that looked like a USGS Quadrangle paper map).

As for downloaded layers, as of now, it only downloads active layers, and those layers stay active in the downloaded maps regardless of if you turn them off. So, when you download a map to use offline, make sure to only have those layers active that you want displayed while using it offline.

Last edited:
Any way to access the Ocean Basemap? We are headed to Florida next week and renting a boat and peas planning on using that basemap. Now I can't find it. I've never needed it before now and now it's missing. LOL

Any way to access the Ocean Basemap? We are headed to Florida next week and renting a boat and peas planning on using that basemap. Now I can't find it. I've never needed it before now and now it's missing. LOL

I am not familiar with the ocean basemap in the prior version. But in the current release if you go to Map Layers>Nationwide Layers>Water (scroll to bottom of nationwide layers sheet) there is an option for Nautical Charts that'll give you some info.

Just for the record, I am in no way affiliated with onXmaps - I am just an obsessive and self-guided tester/user. I am paying close attention to the onX threads on this and other forums because I am concerned about some of the functionality in the current release and am tracking issues and their response closely. I am chiming in here to simply give a hand when I can as I assume onX personnel have their hands full at present.

I have found that the saving of offline maps is very glitchy. The maps fail to save roughly 75% of the time. This is especially the case if the new map I am saving overlaps slightly with a map I have already saved.

In general, I like the changes to the app, but there is clearly an issue with the offline maps feature.

More of an issue than a question. First let me say onX has been a game changer on several hunts in helping find small chunks of public land close to what in the past looked to all be private. My current issue is such: I participated in the beta trial with no problems on my android device, then deleted the beta app at the end of the trial period.
My app updated yesterday and now it crashes upon open- I have power cycled my device, etc and am still unable to open the new app. I am very hesitant to uninstall/reinstall the app as I have a bunch of waypoints, tracks etc, and worry that I will lose those as a result of removing the app. I was directed by onX customer support to unenroll in the beta- I verified I was not still linked there, verified I had the new version etc, all have failed to resolve my issue...

My son lost all of his waypoints and tracks after the update so is there a way he can restore them? He has an iPhone 7 with the latest updates.

I lost all my waypoints and tracks from last weekends scouting - lots of boot leather that is lost. Everything prior to 7/28 seems to be intact.

All my old tracks have been updated with new dates - e.g. waypoints I took in October 2016 now show a date of 6/30/17, suggesting there was an update process that rolled through user content (assuming to sync with new features/add fields, etc) but correspondingly updated the record with a new date. Not the end of the world, but now it makes it more difficult to search through old points by date.

Is there a layer legend? I'm curious of roads with long dash vs. short dash vs. trail. are these layers the same as saying four track vs two track vs non motorized?

How often does OnX update property owners on the maps?

This website turned me on to the app, and I signed up for the free trial. I'm trying to figure it all out now... When I go through the owners shown, I've found quite a few to have old ownership information... several years old and no longer accurate.

The new/correct information is updated on the county assessor maps, but not on OnX. I want to purchase the service (non-trial), but if some of the data that I know is wrong how can I be sure most of the other ownership data is correct?

Wanted to give an update on some things going on with the update. Overall it has been a tremendous success. Less than 2% of customers have had a problem. Due to the large volume of customers you may be in this group though. Here are some things that are going on right now. We are also releasing updates to Android and iOS to fix as much as we could get in. Look for those today 8/2 and make sure you have version 4.0.1

If your content didn’t come over such as waypoints or tracks we should still have it in our system and can restore it for you. Just give us a call/email. [email protected]

If you are having trouble logging in about 5% of customers passwords did not carry over. Please reset your password to get an email. If you don’t see the email check your spam/Trash folder. Go to www.onxmaps.com/web to reset password

If you had 2 premium state memberships you are now upgraded to Elite access in the new system. We only have 1 and 50 state memberships. You are grandfathered in at your past purchase prices for Elite.

If you are having trouble saving a map, we are having trouble with Google shutting down our servers with the spike in usage. They think it is an attack by bots and not our real users. We have addressed a couple things we can control to make it more stable over the night. Waiting on Google to address the problem as well today.

If your layers are telling you to purchase and it says you have a premium/elite membership do these steps:
Open the Hunt App
Tap on Map Layers
Scroll down and tap Manage States
Disable your State
Select your State
Click the x in the top left corner
Tap Map Layers
Swipe down on the layers menu to refresh your layers
Turn on the layers you wish to view

If you had a Membership and it is saying you have a Basic Membership now, please contact our Customer service they can Re-Add access for you. [email protected]

I have found that the saving of offline maps is very glitchy. The maps fail to save roughly 75% of the time. This is especially the case if the new map I am saving overlaps slightly with a map I have already saved.

In general, I like the changes to the app, but there is clearly an issue with the offline maps feature.
I had a few failures of offline downloads on release day but haven't since. I tested this and was able to successfully download overlapping offline maps. This is on iOS 10.3.3.

Additional Updates:

Content: reminder if you lost a couple data points let us know and we can work to restore them.
Import/Export: We are working on adding the import tool back into Web Map as soon as we can. This will allow you to import GPX, KML, shape files into web map and sync to your phone. We will also follow up after that with ways to export data as well.
Photo waypoints: Did not carry over to the new system. When we add photo waypoints back coming up soon we will restore all old photo waypoints at that time.

Also new Android version is now live. Make sure you have version 4.0.1
New iOS version is in review from Apple should hopefully be hitting your phones as soon as it passes review.

Cheers

Awesome Bob! It took us 9 Months to build this current system so we should be able to move fast on the new stuff.

When do you think the Montana Block management update will be available for 2017 BMA's?

Small question, is there a way on the web-based app to set the default basemap to be something other than just the topo?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back