Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
onX Hunt has launched their new APP today (July 31). Many of you were asked to be BETA testers. The new versions have all the same features on the both the smart phone APP and the desktop WebMAP. The new user interface is great. I think you will like that new interface, along with some of the new layers.

This thread is where I would ask people to bring their questions for onX Hunt. They will be checking this thread frequently, doing their best to answer questions. If you have a question, odds are that others might have a similar question.

The onX Hunt website FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) are at this link - https://onxmapssupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Again, ask your onX Hunt questions on this thread and they will try to answer them.

The new APP has many new layers. I'm partial to three of the layers. I will use them extensively in my E-scouting. I am going to do YouTube videos on them this week, now that the new APP is live.

1. Roadless Layer - You might have seen my YouTube E-scouting video where I use Microsoft Pain to wipe out all the areas near motorized roads and trails. onX saw me doing this and called to ask if I would work with them to develop a "Roadless" layer that would automate what takes me hours and hours to do. That new Roadless layer is part of the new release.

2. Fire Layer - I have talked a lot about hunting fires. People notice that most of our episodes are filmed in old burns. Now, the webMAP version has the historic fire layers, the same as the smartphone APP. It is so easy to see these fires, the sizes, the year of the burn, etc. I am sure all of you will find this to be equally as helpful.

3. Timber Layer - This shows the timber harvest areas on USFS lands. For those who hunt in areas where thinning/cutting creates good hunting, I think you will find this layer to be as useful as the fire layer.

There are many new layers in addition to those above. I think you will like this new platform to be even more useful than before.

I had an oddity happen today with the new app, when I tried to access the web-based app, my password wouldn't work, I tried it multiple times, had no reason why it was saying incorrect password, so I just reset it. So when I tried to open the app on my phone to make sure the password worked, it kept working with the old password, I eventually logged out and tried the new one on my phone and am completely up and running. So did I just hit a weird glitch, or will I need two passwords?

Alright first question. With the new mobile app I'm assuming the smallest area you can save now is five miles (high resolution)? I'm use to being able to select the blocks so that it doesn't use up so much memory. Is there anyway to save the higher resolution in smaller sections?

Last edited:
I also like the new interface. I'm struggling though with the MVUM layer. I don't see any change on some roads that I know are closed or seasonal. Is this working for others in Mt?

I'm assuming this is not the 'basecamp' software?
I'm new to using the system, but this does not sound like what I'm seeing.

I spent a couple of hours re-saving my maps last night. Now when I go to offline mode and start to zoom in the app crashes on me. I didn't have any trouble looking at my offline maps before the update. Anyone else having this issue.

A lot of my waypoints and areas didn't transfer. I just deleted what did and went to reload the them from GE. Unfortunately GE transfer dose not seem to be an option yet. The screen in the FAQ is blank. Any idea when this option will come back?

I have had problems with cached maps not working in the field on the app. This has happened to me multiple times. For example, on two antelope trips to Wyoming last year, the first trip my cached map worked great. Had the phone in airplane mode and the app was perfect. Go back two weeks later and the cached map won't load. Any ideas why and how to correct and avoid this problem?

5 miles is the smallest area you can currently save at high detail. It also takes up much less storage than the old App and includes all three Basemaps each time you save.

WapitiBob,

All markups (waypoints, tracks,shapes) will sync between web map (Computer) and your App.

Bowhuntmontana,

We worked diligently this year to improve our save maps functionality. You can now save a larger area much faster, with all three basemaps.

Make sure you have the most updated App and see what you think. We would love to hear your feedback!

A lot of my waypoints and areas didn't transfer. I just deleted what did and went to reload the them from GE. Unfortunately GE transfer dose not seem to be an option yet. The screen in the FAQ is blank. Any idea when this option will come back?

We apologize for the inconvience. The import feature is on our road map and is something we are working on including in the near future.

I am unable access the sublayers on certain layers. For example the CO Species Activities Data has the sublayer title but no options to modify the data.

WapitiBob,

All markups (waypoints, tracks,shapes) will sync between web map (Computer) and your App.

I understand that, I want my points and tracks saved independently (exported as gpx) from OnX and the app, should one of us go sideways. The web map is getting to the point I would use it but is a non starter if my data is locked up.

Last edited:
quick question, I just got the app last week and am still learning it.

I am getting ready for hunting, there is no cell service were I hunt so I had downloaded some map areas I was looking at, but after the update I can't find the maps I had downloaded.

quick question, I just got the app last week and am still learning it.

I am getting ready for hunting, there is no cell service were I hunt so I had downloaded some map areas I was looking at, but after the update I can't find the maps I had downloaded.

You have to re-download the maps after the update. Just FYI, the only difference I could find between the 5 and 10 mile resolution options for download was the resolution of the satellite image. The topo maps appear the same with each download. So if you don't need super high res imagery, use the 10 mile option as it takes up much less storage space on your phone and much less download time for the same overall area. Be sure to try switching to offline mode and using the maps prior to going hunting so you understand what level of functionality you will have in offline vs online mode.

You have to re-download the maps after the update. Just FYI, the only difference I could find between the 5 and 10 mile resolution options for download was the resolution of the satellite image. The topo maps appear the same with each download. So if you don't need super high res imagery, use the 10 mile option as it takes up much less storage space on your phone and much less download time for the same overall area. Be sure to try switching to offline mode and using the maps prior to going hunting so you understand what level of functionality you will have in offline vs online mode.

Thank you Vik !

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back