Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rain Gear - CO Archery Elk

ajanssen

What's the consensus on carrying rain gear for a 7 day September hunt in Colorado? I'm bringing my FL Stormlight jacket, but wondering if I really need to carry pants. In the previous 3 years I've hunted CO I've never needed rain gear, so thinking about leaving the bottoms at home and shaving half a pound. We're backpacking so looking at all my gear to see where I can shave some weight. Thoughts from any Colorado regulars?

I have never carried the rain pants up there. I just make sure whatever pants I'm wearing are quick to dry.

Also if it gets to raining that hard I either pull my tarp or bivy and hang out for a while.

I generally use my rain pants as my last layer for warmth whether it is raining or not. I hunt near treeline (12,000 ft elev) and it is always chilly when I am sitting still at sunset and early in the morning before sun has warmed the air. I have only had one time (in 15 years of hunting in CO) when I got really soaked and then it didn't matter what gear I had on, I was drenched and made my way back to camp to get dry clothes before I got cold.

For me, wet pants eventually leads to wet socks and wet feet & boots. I'd take the pants. In 2013 I did a 21 day solo archery hunt in Colorado, rained 14 of those days to some degree, it sucked. First thing I did back home was buy new good quality rain gear. I always pack it, unless I am certain there is 0% chance of rain. And as mentioned it's another wind blocking layer when chilly.

I carry Cabelas space jacket and pants rain gear in pack. Lightweight, quiet and packs down very small. Never go without it. Terrible to be wet and then cold. That can lead to a real problem.

I have some Outdoor Research Helium pants in coyote brown. They have grey and black too. I think I paid $60. They pack down to about a beer can size. Very light. Worth having a pair.

Take em. if 1/2 pound is too much than downsize to lighter material. As mentioned earlier, I have used mine more times as a wind/ insulator rather than water resistance. It gets cold after a storm in August / September.

Howdy. Let us not forget this word..... dew. Yes, dew. It can get your pant bottoms soaking wet. It can get your a** wet if you choose to sit down and glass. Ask any one if they like to wear wet clothes all day. Don't ever ASSUME you won't need them!!! It need be, you can always use the cheaply priced "FroggToggs" rain suits. They are light weight and very strong. You can get them for a song and dance(about $35.00) at Walmart(Wally World). The pants weighs 5.1 oz. The jacket(top) weighs 8.7 oz. It comes with a stuffing bag weighing in at 0.8 oz. So the entire pant, jacket, and bag together weigh only 14.6 oz.!!! Now if I compare weights, my KUIU ULTRA NX rain pants($249.99) weigh in at 15.9 oz. The KUIU ULTRA NX rain jacket($289.99) weighs in at 1lb. 3.6oz. So together they weigh in at 2lb. 3.5oz.! The entire FroggToggs suit weighs less than the KUIU pants alone!

Stay dry and enjoy a better hunt!!! :)

I use gaiters every day to prevent wet pants, socks, boots. But I will say take the rain paints. On a hunt we had a few years back it flooded 9-11 days. We hunted each day, but it would have been tough without good rain gear. I recently upgraded my jacket for the just in case hunt.

Anyone use the new sitka thunderhead rain gear? I'm wanting to buy a jacket/pant set but I'm torn between cloudburst and thunderhead.

I've archery hunted CO for a decade. Rain pants are not necessary, especially if you have pants with DWR on them or quick drying ones.

Worst case, take shelter under an evergreen if the storms really bad. They pass quickly!

Good Luck!

Always take rain gear. Paired with your bottom layer it will help provide insulation, cut wind, and will keep you from having to bail on a hunt if a freak snow storm rolls in, which is possible in any unit in CO at anytime of the year.

Anyone use the new sitka thunderhead rain gear? I'm wanting to buy a jacket/pant set but I'm torn between cloudburst and thunderhead.

I'm in the same boat, I think I'm leaning toward the thunderhead line because it is a LOT quieter than the cloudburst or most other rain gear. They sandwiched the gore-tex waterproof layer between fabric layers. The only downside I can see to them is that the outer fabric layer may soak in some moisture but I'm not sure. And they are a little bit heavier than most other rain gear. I was actually at sportsman's warehouse today looking at the two. If only the jetstream jacket was completely waterproof.. That one is my favorite.

I have the older downpour jacket, which has the felted layer on the outside and it is awesome, 5 years or so and still going strong. Definitely a heavier rain gear setup that I only bring if I plan on being in the rain the entire trip. The fabric does tend to take a long time to dry out all the way after a good soaking but that's not really an issue in usability.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back