Caribou Gear

One way to stop a corner cross

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Stupid question. I'm new to this game. Could some one please explain corner crossing to me. Thanks.

BW

Crossing from one section of public land to another section of public land where the opposing corners meet and the other two corners are private.

OK Stupid question. I'm new to this game. Could some one please explain corner crossing to me. Thanks.

BW
The yellow sections are public and the white sections are private ground. The question is the legality and ability to cross from public to public sections without touching a toe on private.
Copy-Section_13_BLM_Map.jpg

I'm probably not helping, but that photo annoys me because it is a dick move. It sure would be neat to see some hunters carrying one of these in use and use it. I would feel bad for the poor cop that gets dispatched to the complaint, especially if they are hunters.
View attachment 72874

I was thinking one of those little exercise trampolines from the 90s. One on each corner and jump over that thing. It looks like the signs cover the top of the cornerpost so if I touch it and it moves, not my problem. Bunch of luddites as Randy would say.

I just don't understand that mindset at all. We manage a fairly decent sized ranch that has some state sections adjacent and try to better the hunting on the public for those who hunt it. They touch at the corners and we just don't hassel folks who use them responsibly. We do get issues with trespass but most all are respectful of the boundary.
That mountain is very checker boarded so perhaps a trespass problem on their private lands but still, catch a couple of trespassers and turn them in just don't be an azz about it to everyone else.
Greed is all I can think.

I agree they really marked that corner well so have at slim hunters. That is Carbon County has the judge ruled in favor of landowners before? Albany Co. judge will not prosecute corner hopping.

Thanks for posting JM. Those wires will stretch over time and the signs will fall to the ground level or get blown sideways in the wind.

Breath of fresh air. Wouldn't it be nice if all landowners acted the same? Then again not all sportsman act the same towards lands either.

Albany co. will not prosecute that is Carbon Co.

Thanks shoots-straight We feel the same way.
Just wish we could give more access. Some out of state hunters we've been opening the gate for last few years are great guys and keep themselves legal. We grant a little leaway. You Penn. guys that hunt in region J might know us.

The biggest problem we have is with a local punk with no respect. We'll be watching and waiting this fall, that includes the Game Warden.

NR for the most part are great folks just looking for a shot at a decent buck. Landowners we know have more problems with "locals".
If it were me looking for access I would call the ranch and see what they say. Betting the answer is no to access but sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask.

As someone from the east who rarely if ever encounters this problem I can't help but think "How petty"

Shows the value of the public land that ranchers have been systematically sealing off with calculated purchase of contiguous pieces of land. They get to run cattle on it, guide on it, use it however they want but they don't pay property taxes for it.

That law needs to change at the federal level, been going on for far too long.

Signs might be placed to discourage corner crossing but also strongly give the impression that everything beyond the corner mark are private. I would venture that was also a motivating factor to place the signs in the manner they were.

The yellow sections are public and the white sections are private ground. The question is the legality and ability to cross from public to public sections without touching a toe on private.
View attachment 72875

WOW!! Talk about petty bullshit!!! Are the people crossing actually hunting or doing damage to the private or just going from one public to the other?? Seems to me someone is splitting hairs. :)

BW

What does the Sherriff or County Attorney say? It would be interesting to hear their stance. With all of the money and time that it takes to enforce something that isn't written it seems like a fight not worth fighting.

Here is an update: If you cross the landowner calls G&F and Sheriff. G&F says we don't write a ticket for corner cross. Sheriff tries to issue a warning ticket, that essentially says you are guilty with no consequence. For those with a strong conviction, the Sheriff is told "no warning ticket, if I am guilty charge me!"

So far there have been no charges filed and landowner continues to harass.

Here is an update: If you cross the landowner calls G&F and Sheriff. G&F says we don't write a ticket for corner cross. Sheriff tries to issue a warning ticket, that essentially says you are guilty with no consequence. For those with a strong conviction, the Sheriff is told "no warning ticket, if I am guilty charge me!"

So far there have been no charges filed and landowner continues to harass.

Issue a warning ticket? That says you are guilty with no consequence? I gotta ask, have you been told that by a deputy, or heard it through the grape vine?

Warning citations are just that, a warning you were in violation...and not to do it again. Also are these warning tickets ecitations(printed out in the patrol vehicle)? Because I can assure you hand written "warning" citations don't exist in wyoming, unless it's some sort of inter departmental thing. Because summons/citations are issued by the state to local agencies.

Last edited:
Issue a warning ticket? That says you are guilty with no consequence? I gotta ask, have you been told that by a deputy, or heard it through the grape vine?

Warning citations are just that, a warning you were in violation...and not to do it again. Also are these warning tickets ecitations(printed out in the patrol vehicle)? Because I can assure you hand written "warning" citations don't exist in wyoming, unless it's some sort of inter departmental thing. Because summons/citations are issued by the state to local agencies.

If you are issued a warning ticket, it indeed goes on your record and can be seen by law enforcement. You have no recourse when you receive a warning ticket. You do not get a day in court. You are assumed guilty of the offense the ticket was issued for. Warnings are usually taken into account at a later date.(If there is one)

Hard to understand?

If you are issued a warning ticket, it indeed goes on your record and can be seen by law enforcement. You have no recourse when you receive a warning ticket. You do not get a day in court. You are assumed guilty of the offense the ticket was issued for. Warnings are usually taken into account at a later date.(If there is one)

Hard to understand?

So I'll ask again, who told you this?

I'm not being a jerk or condescending, I'll ask you do the same.

Last edited:
Umm not my argument but you just did right here.

Ya and I want to know who at the carbon county sheriff's office told him he'd first be issued a warning ticket. And subsequent violations would result in tickets (with the warning ticket being used against him) Pretty simple question to answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back