One way to stop a corner cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM77

Many in Wyoming are aware of corner crossing and that it is neither legal or illegal in the state. The Wyo G&F does not write it as a hunting or fishing violation and most county Sheriff's Departments stay away from it too. Here is a photo from the Elk Mountain area and how a landowner is dealing with the public accessing public land. The T posts are drive into private land and the staggered signs make it nearly impossible to cross with touching them. Trespass?
20246218_1374740832595138_5420132719698434457_n.jpg

I just don't understand that mindset at all. We manage a fairly decent sized ranch that has some state sections adjacent and try to better the hunting on the public for those who hunt it. They touch at the corners and we just don't hassel folks who use them responsibly. We do get issues with trespass but most all are respectful of the boundary.
That mountain is very checker boarded so perhaps a trespass problem on their private lands but still, catch a couple of trespassers and turn them in just don't be an azz about it to everyone else.
Greed is all I can think.

I agree they really marked that corner well so have at slim hunters. That is Carbon County has the judge ruled in favor of landowners before? Albany Co. judge will not prosecute corner hopping.

Thanks for posting JM. Those wires will stretch over time and the signs will fall to the ground level or get blown sideways in the wind.

They are held on with mechanics wire and that has a lot of stretch, going in-between shouldn't be an issue at all. I can't see them making it thru season like that.

Many in Wyoming are aware of corner crossing and that it is neither legal or illegal in the state. The Wyo G&F does not write it as a hunting or fishing violation and most county Sheriff's Departments stay away from it too.

If you cross, they call the Sheriff.

What does the Sherriff or County Attorney say? It would be interesting to hear their stance. With all of the money and time that it takes to enforce something that isn't written it seems like a fight not worth fighting.

If he's strapped to your back I see no problem. Just step right over the corner post.

If touching the sign is trespassing and there is no realistic way to cross at the corner without touching the sign wouldn't the sign then be considered to be illegally blocking public access? In Wyo you can corner cross and not be ticketed. Therefore that equals public access. Wouldn't the signs be considered the same as putting a locked gate across a public road where is crosses private land?

OK Stupid question. I'm new to this game. Could some one please explain corner crossing to me. Thanks.

BW

I'm probably not helping, but that photo annoys me because it is a dick move. It sure would be neat to see some hunters carrying one of these in use and use it. I would feel bad for the poor cop that gets dispatched to the complaint, especially if they are hunters.
ladder.png

Attachments

• coner crossing pic.png
    coner crossing pic.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,580
Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member