Tripod of choice?

dk17hmr

What does everyone like for mountain hunting?

I have been using an old survey tripod retrofitted with a ball head for my range finder and binos while shooting this year and I can see I need a lightweight set for hunting this fall.

I picked up a Sinno from Schmaltz two years ago with a ball head and have really liked it. There are lighter options out there, but this was pretty light and a great price.

I feel like slik is tough to beat for value. I have been using Oben, a China made CF tripod. I like it a lot for what I paid.

My main purpose would be for binos, I don't actually own a spotting scope. Where I hunt in mountains it's open enough to glass but thick enough that 10x binos work really well.

I was looking at the vortex offerings, Summit SSP and high country. Although ebay has a handful of carbon fiber $100 units.

I have the Summit SSP and have certainly got the money's worth but if I could do it again I'd spend the $ once. I'm saving up for the Outdoorsman but it might take another year:

I've got a Manfrotto something or other. I picked it up for about $50 and it's light weight and pretty stable. I bought it for DSLR use but it is okay with a spotting scope as well. Just need to replace my crappy 10 year old NC Star spotter and I'll be good.

Take a look at the Vanguard Quest T62U. At 2.24 lbs, it is relatively lightweight and comes with a yoke for shooting. I also have Vanguard pan head that came with an older tripod that I have used with a spotting scope. I've found that the yoke actually works pretty well as a rest form my larger binoculars. What I like about the Vanguard is that in it's fully collapsed position, the height is perfect sitting and glassing without deploying the flick locks to extend the legs. I spread the one single (removable) leg to get the best position. In addition, the removable leg can be used as a monopod or the other unit as a bipod. Very pleased with the Vanguard tripod (bipod, monopod) and will be using it on a 3rd rifle season elk hunt in CO this year.

Slik tripod. Lots of options depending on what you are wanting

I feel like slik is tough to beat for value. I have been using Oben, a China made CF tripod. I like it a lot for what I paid.

I agree with brockel and SnowyMountaineer. I spent a fair amount of time looking at tripods several years ago and for the money it was hard to bead the quality and weight of a Slik. I have put mine thru 4 or 5 seasons and it still works like its new.

I would love to buy a outdoorsman, but have a hard time justifying the money. I can go on a couple of hunts for the cost.

Top of the line is Gitzo if you want a cheaper carbon fiber alternative check out Induro CLT004.

I picked up a Leupold tripod with the purchase of the spotting scope. Works good. I had a crappy one before - this one showed the reasons why Leupold is... Leupold. Purchased via our famous Schmalts.

Promaster with Benro s2 for me.

S and S archery has a nice video comparison of some very good options.

Vanguard 264AO is what I use because it has all of the "little" features that most don't. Spiked legs for setting up on ice/snow, rubber shock ring so your nockers don't get banged around when the head drops, hook to stabilize with your backpack during high winds, and can extend to around 6 feet high (important for someone who is 6' 4" like me). Yes, it may be ounces heavier and not compact quite as small, but when I am setup on the edge of a cliff and sitting on ice in high winds glassing I know that my setup ain't moving. Oh and they are very well priced.

Back