Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pay to Play

50bowhunter

I was just curious how many states charge you to use your public lands. Here in Virginia, to hunt or fish on National Forest, you have to buy a permit. Granted its only $4, but what makes me mad is hunters and fishermen are the only ones required to have it. You can hike, bike, camp or do anything else fee of charge.

No such thing here in PA. I agree that you're getting somewhat of a raw deal. I would argue in fact that hiking/biking/camping probably have more of an impact on the landscape and it would make more sense for those activities to be "taxed". I usually don't get too upset about supporting conservation via permits, stamps, passes, etc... I guess I would have to know what the $4 goes to. On it's face, the state charging a fee for you to recreate of federal lands doesn't seem to make sense.

In Washington state to drive on state dnr land or park at any recreational site you have to buy a annual $30 discover pass. Its free to recreate on national forest lands.

Virginia charges for state land as well. However a hunting or fishing license exempts you from that fee. That way the hikers and boaters pay their share.

We don't have to pay to use state land in Iowa, but there has been talk of it with budget cuts in the DNR. I have payed for annual passes in other states and usually do not think twice about it. Outdoor recreation is worth the minimal fee to me. But, I do get upset if I have to pay to park at a state park, forest, etc. and the grass is not mowed in the picnic area, there is trash in the picnic shelter, the fishing dock is out of repair, or whatever else. If I have to pay, I like to see that my money is being used for that area and not lining the pockets of some fat cat in the capital or being sent to another branch of government.

We don't have to pay to use state land in Iowa, but there has been talk of it with budget cuts in the DNR. I have payed for annual passes in other states and usually do not think twice about it. Outdoor recreation is worth the minimal fee to me. But, I do get upset if I have to pay to park at a state park, forest, etc. and the grass is not mowed in the picnic area, there is trash in the picnic shelter, the fishing dock is out of repair, or whatever else. If I have to pay, I like to see that my money is being used for that area and not lining the pockets of some fat cat in the capital or being sent to another branch of government.

I agree, my new biggest pet peeve is the "pack it in, pack it out" parks. Obviously this is the rule to go by in the back country, but I'm talking about picnic areas, rest rooms, visitor centers, parking lots with NO trash cans anywhere. I guess it's all well and good that these parks can toot their own horn and brag about how little impact they have, but the fact of the matter is that garbage is going in a land fill somewhere. They're just too lazy(and/or cash strapped) to pay the garbage man. I always end up riding around with a smelly bag of dog shit or two until I can find the nearest gas station or somewhere to get rid of it. I always make it a habit to pick up litter and stuff when I'm out hiking/hunting/fishing but I also don't want to drive around with a bag of trash festering in the car until I can find somewhere to throw it out. Sorry for the rant but that really drives me crazy and I would gladly pay a few dollars a year just to provide simple services.

I really don't mind paying the extra money and honestly wouldn't mind the fee being increased. My biggest issue is only certain users are charged. I've been to a few open forum meetings pertaining to NF use and most of the people complaining about trail and road maintenance are hikers and horse back riders that don't put a nickel in the system.

In NC, we don't have to pay any fees for using NF land. Some state parks have a fee, but they are usually few and far between. However, there is the Great Smokies National Park, that we do not have to pay a fee for entry, but do for certain permits. I wish they would let us have some form of draw on it to hunt. But on it and the parkway, no hunting.

Randy has spoke to other users and cites the CARA act in the late 90s. The companies for those user groups as well as the users themselves, opted out. They lobbied hard against it.... Sad day. And something that we as hunters may want to bring up at meeting in the future...

In NC, we do have a Game Lands Privilege that you have to buy to hunt on game lands which costs $15.

This is what I was trying to point out with my link:

"The state of Virginia’s National Forest Stamp is an annual permit purchased by individuals that want to hunt or fish on the George Washington or Jefferson National Forests in Virginia. The stamp is authorized and administered by the Commonwealth of Virginia. The funds derived from the sale of the special permits are used on the national forest to restore habitat and enhance hunting and fishing opportunities. Projects are a cooperative effort between the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, the National Forest, and partners such as The Wild Turkey Federation, and Trout Unlimited."

I like that we as hunters and anglers "pay it forward". I do wish the non-consumptive users would would chip in too...

In Washington state to drive on state dnr land or park at any recreational site you have to buy a annual $30 discover pass. Its free to recreate on national forest lands.

Unless you are using a fee site, or a trail that requires a pass. Many states are adopting this as a way to generate more revenue for funding some of the shortfall from congress.

MT - you have to have a state parks pass for some areas, which you purchase when you get your tags renewed unless you opt out, and you need a hunting,fishing & trapping license for state lands to use regular DNRC lands.

In NM we have a $5 Habitat stamp for angling,trapping & hunting on FS & BLM lands.
Also a $4 Habitat management & access validation stamp.This $ goes to state lands fund.
Both are good for a year.

Wish we had a shoot any wolf any time stamp.

Forest preserve system by me they don't make you pay...but certain lands they own...no trespassing.

Regarding pack it in pack it out... I pass a ranger station on my way in. I have maybe 1 bag of garbage after being there for 10 days. I very politely ask if I can toss it in one of their 2 dumpsters. Nope!. Same people that refused to give me water because it was non potable. Said I understand and I'm using it to clean. Still nope. Alright. I'll buy the guy 3 miles down the road a beer. So that's what we've done ever since. Stop at the gas station to get water on the way in. And stop on the way out to dump garbage. Oddly enough, got some of the best tips from the same guys at the gas station.

I help maintain and manage 25 parks in NE Iowa. All but about 5 of our parks are pack it in pack it out and include a pit latrine and a shelter house with grills for picnicking. We have far less problems with trash at our areas where we do not have trash cans, but we also stay up on the trash and all of our staff is very good at if they see trash dumped they pick it up. If you let an area get behind people see trash, they dump theirs and it just piles on. Someone from our staff is at each of areas at least once a week and the busier areas are frequented more. When agencies are spread out over large regions or districts like some agencies are broken into it gets very hard for staff to visit the area regularly and as soon the public sees that the agency is neglecting an area trash and vandalism adds up fast. I will add that all of our areas are free of charge, including our new nature center that has family activities and live animal exhibits. Before I moved back to NE Iowa I was in SE Iowa and we managed our parks and kept them clean, but in general the overall attitude of the residents in the area was much more disruptive and destructive. We dealt with much more trash, drugs, and crime in our parks than we do in NE Iowa.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back