Helena?

I don't live in Helena but about half my family does or has and I spend a fair amount of time there, including today. Sounds like it may be a good fit based on your info. High marks for sure from a recreation standpoint and easy travel to other cool parts of MT. Low marks for a vibrant downtown or much of a restaurant scene, which may or may not be important to you. Helena certainly feel way different than Bozeman or Missoula. As an example, Helena does not have an REI, which says a fair amount when comparing it to other "trendy" western towns.

If you own a boat or plan to, Helena has some of the best lake access of any sizable MT towns. If you mountain bike, Helena has some really nice stuff to check out.

Enjoy your scouting trip.

To me Helena feels like it should be this cool Friday downtown experience like Bozeman. Everyone down there eating and enjoying after work drinks. But its pretty quiet in the evening.

And Helena has The Basecamp which is pretty much a local version of REI.

To me Helena feels like it should be this cool Friday downtown experience like Bozeman. Everyone down there eating and enjoying after work drinks. But its pretty quiet in the evening.

And Helena has The Basecamp which is pretty much a local version of REI.

We roll the streets up at 5.

Except for the Big Dipper during the summer.

Most of Helena's employment comes from either the federal, state or county governments as well as healthcare. That crowd isn't always as interested in entertainment as the younger set. I love downtown as well, & I think we're seeing a bit more development of businesses in the walking mall and elsewhere that are hopefully increasing foot traffic downtown with the revamp of the Windbag, the Hawthorn, Hub, etc. But overall, yeah, it's a sleepy little town, which I personally like.

Dave - are you related to Josh & Brittney?

Ha, all the Coloradans complain about the Californians moving out, so they move up to Montana, then the Montana folks start complaining...

I was thinking the same thing.

As a Native CA born citizen, I find I rarely meet similar folks. As JLMatthew pointed out though, I have met my fair share of easterners who've moved west like a plague of locust ruining the landscape and then relocate again once the land is barren.

Best of luck in MT Surveyor.

The downtown scene in Helena is slowly getting better. Still need a few more restaurant options as everyone is looking for food after a couple brews at the tap rooms. Also, lots of downtown merchants just close up in the evening and ignore the later downtown crowd.

On topic I moved my family here 16 years ago. We love the central location, hiking, hunting, fishing etc..I still travel a lot during hunting season but that is mostly because I love prairie antelope and mule deer hunting. Housing market has been pretty good to us but inventory is tight in certain price ranges and good places move fast.

Threads like this and the other current one about Wyoming put me into a bout of depression based on past decisions...

My company may be opening an office in Helena. It's probably a year or two off and fully dependent on external decisions, but I've already put my name in the hat to open it up. A former supervisor moved there to work for the state 5-6 years ago and is still there despite grumbling about better places to live in the west. He doesn't even hunt or fish.

I live south of Helena near Jefferson City. I use Helena for work, beer, and groceries, and stay out of it as much as possible. It isn't as nutty as Bozeman or Missoula, but it's getting there. Coworker listed his house a few weeks ago in the capitol area and had 4 offers above asking price the first day.

I'm not that old (32) and have watched the neighboring counties boom as bedroom communities. Townsend is being influenced by the growth in Bozemenian Grove. In 1990 Northern Jefferson County had 7900 people, it is now likely over 12,000, with nearly all that growth occurring in the northern third of the county. I guess what I'm saying is everywhere near Helena is changing fast.

The country around Helena has a lot to offer. Some of the smaller communities within driving distance still have the "small town feel". Many likely have what you are looking for in schools, economy, and hunting. If you do move here, spread the word on how terrible it is.

I live south of Helena near Jefferson City. I use Helena for work, beer, and groceries, and stay out of it as much as possible. It isn't as nutty as Bozeman or Missoula, but it's getting there. Coworker listed his house a few weeks ago in the capitol area and had 4 offers above asking price the first day.

I'm not that old (32) and have watched the neighboring counties boom as bedroom communities. Townsend is being influenced by the growth in Bozemenian Grove. In 1990 Northern Jefferson County had 7900 people, it is now likely over 12,000, with nearly all that growth occurring in the northern third of the county. I guess what I'm saying is everywhere near Helena is changing fast.

The country around Helena has a lot to offer. Some of the smaller communities within driving distance still have the "small town feel". Many likely have what you are looking for in schools, economy, and hunting. If you do move here, spread the word on how terrible it is.

I tell everyone how much CO sucks and how much better WY or MT would be... especially the Texans(just for NHY;))

Even though we're not moving up there for a couple of weeks, I'm already spreading the word on how awful it is.

Is it too soon to ask you Helena folks for GPS coordinates of all your secret elk spots, or do I have to wait a few week to be a real "local"? ;)

You have to have a 406 t-shirt & be sponsored by either Blackfoot or Ten Mile breweries before we can divulge that info.

Or just shoot one of us a PM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back