Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

CO 2nd season elk get together?

Good luck! I wish I was there for the sweet and sour meatballs if nothing else. Alas, I have to be chasing a bull in the Breaks! :) Hope you guys gets some elk on the ground.

Memo
To: Hunting Gods
RE: Cushman/HT 2nd season

Be advised this group contains worthy hunters, merits assistance w success on elk, bear. Suggest providing tracking snow, numerous encounters w branch-antlered bulls.

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Go get 'em, guys! Wish I could have made this get together.

I know it’s only hunt day 3 of this impromptu adventure, but I’m bucking 120kt headwinds home and chomping at the bit for an update :) Zach or anyone have any texts of hero shots? (Whether the shots are of fallen elk, bears, PBRs or Crocs is really immaterial)

Hey everyone!! We're all back home now. We called it early since Doug had to fly out soon and we had a serious lack of game. The biologist that lived on sight said it was a really warm dry summer and fall so far, so the elk were holed up on private in the irrigated alfalfa fields. Roger and Doug saw that first hand. They did a lot of hiking and I did smaller hikes around camp. They both had bull tags and I had a bull and bear tag. We found a lot of poop and old tracks in the SWA, but only live animals on private. We had a couple of deer walk through camp a lot and saw a ton of turkeys. We had a nice little camp, but the weather kinda sucked with cold temps and lots of wind. A couple of mornings our water and drinks were frozen solid. All in all I had fun, and I hope Roger and Doug did as well. This was definitely a great idea, and I feel I made life long friends. There was a bunch of interest in doing this next year, so I think I'll try and put something together, since I had so much fun on this trip. I'll post about that another time. I'll post a few pics later, and I hope Roger and Doug post some of their's as well.

Last edited:
Glad you guys had a fun time! You didn't ruin the fun by having to pack meat. There are some benefits to tag soup! :)

That's how hunting goes.If you do it next year,I'd be interested in a 3rd season hunt where hopefully snow would be a benefit.Or maybe an easy deer draw in archery or 2nd season
Some units like 62 for example have fairly easy deer tags to draw and otc elk hunting.Anyway when you figure out a good unit for the elk hunt you should let guys know ahead of the draw so they could apply for deer too.I know this idea came up late this year.But next year you could have a heck of a camp with a bunch of guys and alot of tags.Keep us posted about your ideas

No doubt! With as many guys that responded to this thread and got ahold of me in PM, I think I might split it up and do a week of archery and a week of rifle. I'm thinking 3rd season might be a bit better with hopefully a little snow. If I do the same area, archery is OTC and there are always leftover cow muzzleloader tags. The non residents can also get cow only OTC archery to save some money. With upcoming knee and shoulder surgeries I don't know if I'll actually hunt, but I would love to play camp host and do the cooking and taking care of everyone.

This was an unbelievable great time... John was a great host and we had some fun hanging out and hunting. I have some videos on the YouTube link in my dig, but need to add some pics also.

Glad we left a little early with the cold front coming in... it is hard waking up with everything frozen.

Back