Yeti GOBOX Collection

Improving 2WD trucks?

You can probably get an aftermarket rear locking diff. I think they're pretty pricey, but will definitely help a bunch with extra traction.

This is the best advice if you're looking to keep the truck^^^^^

ARB might make one for your rig. Also, don't put different tires on the rear than your have on the front, that's only good for drag strips and race tracks...

Find a buddy with a 4x4 that will answer his phone when you call for a pull. Time and time again I've locked mine in to get up a slight grade on wet grass. It doesn't tear up the ground cover as bad. Best advice Dad ever gave me was Go as far as you can in 2wd, lock it in and get the heck out.

If you don't have real long road trips to your hunting spots, I'd just buy a cheap 4x4 for a hunting vehicle and keep the 2wd. Something like a Jeep XJ, Ford Ranger, S-10, etc.

If you are making long trips, I'd do as others suggest and trade for an equivalent 4x4.

Keep your 2wd truck, buy a used SXS UTV or ATV and a trailer. Drive to your hunting area/campsite and then use the ATV. Cheaper than buying a new 4x4 truck.

Be prepared to get stuck. Have a way to extract yourself. Be careful where you go and park. I've been stuck in 4x2s and 4x4s. Just upgrade when you can.

I've found that having 2WD has been sufficient... granted 4WD would have helped in a few occasions. I gave my 2WD truck a lift for better ground clearance when I was having to use speed/momentum to get thru some stuff, and put on some heavy duty 3/4 ton AT tires. I carry shovel, tow chains, straps, come along, etc. Next truck will be 4WD through.

To add to some of the people here: don't ask a 2WD vehicle to do what a 4WD vehicle is designed to do. Just park it and walk/bike once it's getting questionable. There's no shame in that. There are minor things you can do to make a 2WD vehicle more capable (as people have shared) but that doesn't change that you're basically asking "how can I have a 4x4 without having a 4x4."

Late to the party. I keep an old broken axle and a sledge hammer in my 4X4 and a come along or winch (they make them for 2X2 tow receivers). If there are no trees or boulders around to make up to, drive the axle in at a 45 degree angle, use it then pull it back out of the ground after winching out.

Being smart about it can get you a long ways (or save you a lot of time by not getting stuck). Know your limits, drive conservatively, and in some cases wait a day or two for the road to dry out. That bicycle will come in handy. I find that many times I only need high clearance and 2wd is just fine. I've had to walk a time or two though when it wasn't.

Back