Improving 2WD trucks?

Swampfox

Besides good all terrain tires, is there anything else that can be done to improve the off road capabilities of a 2WD truck? I'm obviously not planning on going anywhere crazy but anything that might help out on forest roads etc? I have a 2011 Silverado if that helps.

Tire chains and weight in the rear end.

Not sure it'd improve the "offroad capabilities" enough that I'd go anywhere I wouldn't go without them.

The guy above me has the best answer.

Agree with ishootdasmallones...sell the 2011 and buy the best 4x4 truck you can buy.

If selling isn't an option, tire chains and a winch are about as good as you could do but those will only get you so far and definitely wouldn't be my first choice. Maybe spend some cash on a locking rear differential.

I'll trade ya straight up(doe not included), I think this vehicle is still sitting around my parents house back at home. Back to the ole highschool days

IMG_2942.jpg

I wouldn't be too worried, as was said above and by you, tires, chains for snow/mud, weight in the back, and a good winch or straps and chain hoist. I keep a chain hoist and straps in my 4x4 Dodge just in case. A chain hoist is slow but I've used one before and it does work. The main thing is just being smart about it and don't try anything you aren't comfortable with. Also, having a buddy with a 4wd helps if you do get stuck. Back to the start of my rambling, have a recovery kit. I have a kit that goes between my truck and Jeep that includes good recovery straps, shackles, a high lift jack, and small shovel to go along with my 3T hoist.

Chains on the rear will only push the front and hinder your ability to steer and break especially going down hill. The addition of a FOR SALE sign is the best improvement.

You can probably get an aftermarket rear locking diff. I think they're pretty pricey, but will definitely help a bunch with extra traction.

Get a towstrap and a buddy w 4wd. Or get a cheap atv and put it in back of your chevy. A 2wd atv (solid axle) will go almost anywhere a 4wd one will, except deep snow and mud.

When I was in Idaho I was a poor college student with a 2-WD F150.
I also had a mountain bike, handyman jack, winch, and a chainsaw in the pickup.

If I hit an unexpected bad stretch of road, I parked and mountain-biked into my destination.

If there was a tree across the road, the chainsaw was useful.

If I got stuck, at least I had my mountain bike to get help (no cell phones back in those days)
Handyman jack and chainsaw also helped me getting unstuck.

You can probably get an aftermarket rear locking diff. I think they're pretty pricey, but will definitely help a bunch with extra traction.

^^^This^^^ and a winch to help get you out of any sticky situations.
You make due with whatever you have since not everybody can just go out and drop 40 to 50 grand on a new 4x4.

Drive till it gets worrisome. Park the truck and hike. Not everywhere needs to be driven to.

I'll trade ya straight up(doe not included), I think this vehicle is still sitting around my parents house back at home. Back to the ole highschool days

View attachment 72818

Oh man, I too used to have a hatchback Focus like that only mine was bright yellow hahaha. I never put a deer in the back of it, but I did hit a few deer with it! It was my first car, 5speed, no AC, no power anything. paid $8k for it with only 8k miles on it, lasted me 10 years.

If all I had was a 2 wheel, I'd drive it till it stopped, then walk. Growing up and living in Montana, all I know, is if you only need 4 wheel drive once, it's worth it. mtmuley

I hope I'm not the only one that has to blow up that picture to make sure that wasn't the intestines still left on the leg.

But as to th OP's question. Trade it in, buy a 4x4 with a factory locker. You will thank your self once you experience how much time that locker, 30'x 4" tow strap, winch, and a good set of chains cost you. Your 4x4 buddy can drive past you to the top of the hill, when you have to stop and chain up, then winch when the front end won't stay straight...

Last edited:
You could do what I did. Turned my 2wd Ranger into a 4x4. Not the easiest or most cost effective but I've had this truck for 20 years. (My 1st vehicle).

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 473
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back