Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

NYSKIER

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone could give me some input. I had been shooting great out to 95 yards hitting 6 inch paper plate to get ready for the season when the pin on my draw mod sheared. It took a little over two weeks to get one in from Bowtech and get it installed. I've had my bow back for around 8 days and have been shooting down right horrible at all ranges. I can barely seem to put a group together with the exception of 20 yards. I'm thinking that the reasoning behind this is that the proshop that I brought it to may have put the draw mod in the wrong position giving me .5 extra inch of draw. I'm pretty sure my draw is 27 but this is set for 27.5 and now I'm going crazy in my head wondering if I thought I was shooting 27 for so long but was really shooting 27.5

Do you think that the half inch extra good be throwing off my shooting entirely being as I had been shooting so well before hand? (Also forgot to mention that I had pictures taken of me and I seem to have developed a big lean when I shoot and my sight picture has been really shakey)

Any insight would be great I'm just very frustrated as I'm going on a hunt in less than a month and my confidence is really shot right now

95 yards? If length is too long you should be able tell if your having to strain or stretch to hit your anchor point, that could cause shakiness. If something else is going on with your bow the best way to tell is to shoot through paper. If your arrow was already under spined and they lengthened the draw that could cause inconsistencies. Best bet would be to take it back. Shoot there until it feels right and tune there

Thanks I was going to paper tune this morning but ran out of time so I'm just going to go to the shop tonight. As far as spine goes I'm right in line with where I should be. I'm getting to my normal anchor points (jawline, nose, corner of mouth) but pictures that someone took show that I am leaning way back, in addition to that my sight picture is super shaky and it isn't usually like that that's why I was wondering if it was draw length. I shoot as far as my setup will allow in practice so that closer shots are that much easier. I shoot 60 or less on game and that is very dependent on conditions and the situation.

It sounds like you should get it figured out with the pro shop tonight, but definitely start by checking your timing and cam lean. Would be wise to confirm axle to axle hasn't been skewed too. Paper tuning will tell you a ton. Make sure you paper tune beyond a couple feet, as it becomes more accurate as you back away. Also make sure you concentrate on your steps and form. I was in a similar situation recently and started second guessing everything. Found out a lot of it was in my head (not to say the same for you, but it's easy to overthink things when they go south so quick).

A longer draw length has always locked in easier for me than a draw length that was too short or what was supposed to be my correct length.

Arcola- Yea I definitely will at this point I almost hope that something is wrong and it isn't just me because this has been a very annoying last week

N2TRKYS- Very interesting though process. I try to stay away from having to long of a draw length because I've read a lot on that being a big accuracy issue however everyone is different so what works for one guy wont work for everyone. I'm actually the opposite of you and if my draw length isn't spot on I'd prefer it to be a little smaller cause I feel a bit more in control. Just a feel thing I guess

Last edited:
I would bet money on draw length being the issue. It is aweful tough to hold back tension when you are fighting to get to your wall.

I'm thinking that's it because I shoot a thumb release with back tension and I've notice that I've got the urge to punch or pull my trigger recently and I've never had that before. I'll make the adjust and let you guys know how it turns out thanks for all the help really appreciate it

Arcola- Yea I definitely will at this point I almost hope that something is wrong and it isn't just me because this has been a very annoying last week

N2TRKYS- Very interesting though process. I try to stay away from having to long of a draw length because I've read a lot on that being a big accuracy issue however everyone is different so what works for one guy wont work for everyone. I'm actually the opposite of you and if my draw length isn't spot on I'd prefer it to be a little smaller cause I feel a bit more in control. Just a feel thing I guess

Yeah. I've found that being in the valley is easier to hold and more accurate than pulling against my wall for me. Some folks like that constant pulling against them, though.

Update: Went to the shop (a different one than that who had put on the draw mod) and had to leave it there they think my axle may be bent so they are stripping everything down. We took a laser to it and I definitely have some serious cam lean. On top of that they noticed that cables were installed improperly which is something I never even thought twice about. I saw the they way they are supposed to be installed and can't believe a the other dealer could mess up like that. Hopefully whatever work done gets finished quick because I'm off for a hunt in three weeks.

Update: Went to the shop (a different one than that who had put on the draw mod) and had to leave it there they think my axle may be bent so they are stripping everything down. We took a laser to it and I definitely have some serious cam lean. On top of that they noticed that cables were installed improperly which is something I never even thought twice about. I saw the they way they are supposed to be installed and can't believe a the other dealer could mess up like that. Hopefully whatever work done gets finished quick because I'm off for a hunt in three weeks.

Could the bent axle/lean be attributed to the cables being improperly installed? Is the original shop a dealer of the brand you shoot? I'd talk to the original shop

Got the bow back today. Axles ended up being ok. As a result of the cables being improperly installed I had extreme cam lean which was throwing everything off at long range. In addition my limb pockets had not been put back on correctly when I got my strings changed which also was causing a creaking noise and my bow to be rather funky. The shop was a bowtech dealer but bottom line is I will not be going back there after that ordeal. Just glad to have my bow back. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Got the bow back today. Axles ended up being ok. As a result of the cables being improperly installed I had extreme cam lean which was throwing everything off at long range. In addition my limb pockets had not been put back on correctly when I got my strings changed which also was causing a creaking noise and my bow to be rather funky. The shop was a bowtech dealer but bottom line is I will not be going back there after that ordeal. Just glad to have my bow back. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

Wow. Screwed up on a couple ends. Once you said cables weren't on right I didnt think the axles would be an issue. As a small business owner myself I'd still talk to the original shop. I really hate the advent of yelp and feel it does more harm than good. How many people that are satisfied write a review? Not many. But if one of my guys screwed something up or if it was me that did it I want to know about it. Then I can correct the problem and not have an angry future customer. Chances are the guy is going to be very apologetic and try to do something to gain your business, or at least not negative word of mouth.

I actually had a similar thing happen to me. Shop put a new rest on. Asked to tune...not even close. Emailed shop owner. As soon as he opened I get a phone call that I couldn't answer then an email. Said if I need anything ask for him, he'd take care of it. I'm always appreciative of feedback whether it's good job. Or in a calm manner telling me I done f'd up so i know what I did.

Last edited:
Wow. Screwed up on a couple ends. Once you said cables weren't on right I didnt think the axles would be an issue. As a small business owner myself I'd still talk to the original shop. I really hate the advent of yelp and feel it does more harm than good. How many people that are satisfied write a review? Not many. But if one of my guys screwed something up or if it was me that did it I want to know about it. Then I can correct the problem and not have an angry future customer. Chances are the guy is going to be very apologetic and try to do something to gain your business, or at least not negative word of mouth.

I actually had a similar thing happen to me. Shop put a new rest on. Asked to tune...not even close. Emailed shop owner. As soon as he opened I get a phone call that I couldn't answer then an email. Said if I need anything ask for him, he'd take care of it. I'm always appreciative of feedback whether it's good job. Or in a calm manner telling me I done f'd up so i know what I did.

Yea that's a good view. I'll stop in when I can and let them know. They have done good work on other bows that I've brought in and everybody is prone to mistakes now and then. Only thing I wish I had done was take a picture of the cables. I think that these guys are good people but there are some shops out there that you go in and tell them something was off and have no proof(no photo of the cable mistake) they look at you like you have four heads and the issue was just you (the customer) blaming your poor shooting on something. I've had that happen before and that's why I stopped going the shop closest to me even though the others are 20-30 minutes further and tend to have traffic which makes the trip even longer. Also got out to resight and double check everything. Extreme cam lean and the cable issue was definitely the problem as I was back to normal and stress free this morning

Yea that's a good view. I'll stop in when I can and let them know. They have done good work on other bows that I've brought in and everybody is prone to mistakes now and then. Only thing I wish I had done was take a picture of the cables. I think that these guys are good people but there are some shops out there that you go in and tell them something was off and have no proof(no photo of the cable mistake) they look at you like you have four heads and the issue was just you (the customer) blaming your poor shooting on something. I've had that happen before and that's why I stopped going the shop closest to me even though the others are 20-30 minutes further and tend to have traffic which makes the trip even longer. Also got out to resight and double check everything. Extreme cam lean and the cable issue was definitely the problem as I was back to normal and stress free this morning

If they look at you weird tell them the shop you took it and have them give them a call.

Going back to the original thought... You were shooting very well... ie.. it felt good. Draw stop sheared/moved/replaced and you lost that "feel." A half inch draw length change might as well be a mile. Good shooters will feel the difference in 1/16 of an inch. My point with this is that if the previous stop didn't just all of a sudden shear, it was probably starting to give for awhile thus impacting your DL a little. Whether the new one was put back in the same hole or not, you probably did loose that "sweet spot" in your DL where you were shooting so well.

Not saying you don't have other issues going on, but any time I hear of a bow getting touched by a dealer I'm going to assume the DL has changed some. ...and it doesn't take much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back