Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

22 hornet reloads?

Greenbear

Anyone reload for their hornet? I have an older pre-war Savage Sporter 23D that stands in the corner for groundhog duty. I've been successfully using Hornady's 35 grain Vmax, however, I normally have to spend $1 per round. Anyway, I've saved my empty brass and have been thinking about getting some dies and reloading. Any experience? Thanks!

Only experience I have is pretty much second hand. A really close friend while I was in the service reloaded 22 hornet's. He had a lot of case separation. Over the years I think I may have figured out why. He full length resized them. They are a bit like belted magnum case's in that they do not head space on the shoulder but rather they do it on the rim. Add to that a shallow shoulder and a bit sloppy case and case's are gonna seperate. If I was going to shoot one, I neck size till the mty won't chamber anymore. Then I'd partial size it down till it would chamber easily, just off the shoulder. Doesn't really change the head space but makes up for a sloppy chamber. If that didn't work, I think it would, I'd have a K Hornet reamer run into the chamber and get a set of K Hornet dies. That would give a better shoulder to size to. Super little cartridge though. Oh BTW, all my buddy shot in his Hornet's were cast bullet's so with higher pressure jacketed bullet's he may have had a real problem.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back