Disabled Vet Hunt

Just an idea but what about unit 591? 99.5% public land, OTC, and 100% on Ft. Carson. I wish I had known about it while stationed there but I'm sure the military would be happy to help with a wounded vet hunt out there. They have certain 'blocks' set aside for just archery and muzzleloader, but the elk numbers out there have been trending up..

Montana, doesn't so bad to me Cush. Hope your hunting. I'm a gluten for punishment. I like the challenge of 3rd season. They are in the harshest places. Keep me mentally tough pushing through the hardships of the hunt. Any vet is always welcome in my camp. Good luck second season. You are due for a bull. Things to keep in mind......1,2,3,4 shoot. That's how I got my first bull. I counted four points and meat in the freezer.

Dude...I passed up so many raghorns during archery after seeing what we had on trail cameras I dicked myself all up. That's why I'm 0-8 on archery elk lol I wanted my first bull to be with my bow, but now I'm in predator mode and any 4 pt is in for lead poisoning lol

Meat in the freezer. That's what it's all about. Hell if spikes were legal in CO I would have that hanging on my wall. I'm doing it in reverse. Recovering from a neck surgery this year and two shoulder surgeries a couple years ago. I'm finally getting the strength back to get the bow turned up and hit it.

Thanks for the offer. I will definitely keep you posted. Still awaiting some call backs. If things fall thru I will hit you up for sure.

https://www.bc40hunts.com/

All basecamp 40 does is put veterans on hunts. Many of them in western CO, unit 40. It's kind of late for this year, but i would definitely get in touch with them if I were you and your buddies.

https://camppatriot.org/

Camp Patriot is a pretty cool outfit as well. Not much in CO, they're mainly a MT, ID, AK operation. But great people. I got to know Micah, who runs their show, and he's the real deal and a vet himself.

Also, the local VA outdoor recreational therapy office (yes, it's a real thing) offers hunts. You just have to go in, ask, and fill out a form. They don't waive it around much, likely for PC sake, but they take vets elk hunting every year around here on private land hunts. As long as you don't have a vertigo disability anyway, then your POS doc will deny you going on a hunt for liability's sake. Don't ask how I know.

As for tips, go where the elk are. Lots of guys keep hunting areas they're supposed to be, even without seeing elk or sign. If they're not there, move on. Also, plan for getting one. Post-kill logistics can be a real nightmare without proper planning. There are posts and videos (Newberg's are awesome) enough on the subject to keep a guy busy for days. Last tip...the whole I-can-do-anything mindset the Army drills into us is great for a lot of things. But it can, on occasion, put you into a real dicey situation in the backcountry if you get caught up in the moment and overstep your limits if you're not properly equipped. Again, don't ask how I know.

Best of luck to you guys, keep getting you and them out there as long as you are able. If you don't get anywhere, hit me up and I'll point you in some other directions too. Definitely give us an AAR with pictures after it's all over! From someone who's been around the Afghan block to another, thanks fellas.

Dave

Just wanted to update everyone that gave input on this thread. So, long of the short, I bought a 4 season camper that we will be using as base camp(weather dependent on elevation). I think we are going to have a good starting spot in GMU 71 in CO. As I have pushed out to my hunting party this year, win, lose, or draw, this is going to be a great adventure to enjoy the outdoors with brothers. I will be sure to post pics after the end of the hunt in November.

Wanted to send out an update on our upcoming CO Hunt this week. We started with 5 and it down to 2. The one individual I am taking out, this is his first elk hunt. He is super excited to be there. I I’m making a trip in tomorrow to see if we are able to get him in to set camp. Southern Colorado has gotten snow in the high country yesterday, but things are looking up. Pics to follow in a couple weeks good, bad, or ugly. We have to bull tags and a bear tag. My body is in hunting mode.. been waking up at 3 and 4 over the last week.

Wanted say thank you to everyone that has given me support and guidance up to this point. Next big thing is packing out meat, staying positive, and enjoying our adventure.

Well...where do I start. We will start from the end. We ended up with just one Vet on this adventure. We weren’t successful, but we put 7 days of some tough challenging hunting. We were on the elk but just ran out time to be able to seal the deal. I can say it was a great time and great country with a great person.

867970EE-12EF-4A27-8511-B7A7618EAF34.jpg

It was his first time elk hunting and was like a sponge. Took in everything we did. He never gave up everyday, even when he was hurting. He followed me up the mountain everyday. I can say I believe he is hooked and is already looking forward to next years hunt.

2F3A22E3-4051-426F-9AB5-A89CBB3C09AA.jpg

I was glad that we were able to at least get in the mountain and make some memories tags be damned. Thanks you all for your support. Unfortunately, the the Army is moving me to WA and will have to relearn another elk habitat and hunting techniques before I can plan another hunt. Enjoy the pics.

A16A2541-6C67-4C4E-BDEF-BA4F6BBFE26E.jpg
1ED455AE-C3D1-4E5D-8D76-3FBC7C553326.jpg

We had a great camp and a ton of great evening prepped meals. This was elk hunt from a resort to me. Woke up in the warm and had a shower every few days. Kinda didn’t feel right but it was comfy.

E47AAB7F-DE04-43E0-8FFF-B8B437C7164F.jpg
6329C60E-B0F9-4CE8-BC38-E98F4C55CCE7.jpg

Wish we could have had the other guys join us but still a good time. We enjoyed our public lands and were able to be in the outdoors everyday

FD5AA235-68B9-4B96-82AA-743DAE8492CB.jpg
ADD9C526-2155-4502-8D60-D2418D913299.jpg

If anyone want to show me the ropes in WA next year hit me up.

Attachments

• 896116F0-4084-4D5F-A048-C1E22AD27F13.jpg
    896116F0-4084-4D5F-A048-C1E22AD27F13.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 14352DD6-2D2F-425E-85E5-E6B471D61F9A.jpg
    14352DD6-2D2F-425E-85E5-E6B471D61F9A.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 133
Good job brother. I'm so impressed with peoples' generosity. I'm a 90% SCD (medically retired) broke dick USMC pilot and I've often thought about how to start a veteran's hunting organization down here in the south. Good luck with your endeavors in WA.

Your plans for this hunt, remind me of the TV Sportsmen show called "Sheep Shape" that features disabled hunters struggling with amputations, cancer, and the like. It's interesting to see how these hunters preparation, resolve, and determination to "win" against the mountain plays out in reality. Never an episode of them giving up, or being demoralized though! At least one, has passed on due to his struggle with Cancer.
Can't make a promise at this time, but keep me in mind. I live in So. Central Colorado, and have pack animals if they could be of assistance. Too soon for me to commit to helping if asked, but I wouldn't mention it if I wasn't sincere in perhaps helping where needed. I know that when you have it in the back of your mind that YOU don't have to be the one to carry meat out on YOUR back, it often makes a difference on where you hunt, with that monkey off your back.

Thanks for the offer. The Army is moving me to a recruiting center in Olympia, WA in February. Not sure I will be hunting in CO next year. Starting to look at Central Idaho next year. I can say we covered some ground this season. There were a few days my hunting partner was wanting to give up. He never said it out loud other than telling me I was a beast. Was bummed I couldn’t get his tag filled. Just ran out of time. I appreciate the support. I retire in a couple years and this something I want to start doing more of.

All I did was ask around to get the interest. I will start in the next couple years to help with sponsors to help with the cost. I covered most of the cost other than purchasing tags. All you got to do is find a hunt and invite a Vet. Start there. Just getting them n the woods makes a difference. Thanks for the support.

I went to the darkside. I am a full time recruiter. Been for 6 years. I have never used that one though. I will stick it in my tool bag. I may find the right prospect for getting drunk around the world. How was your
season Cush?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back