Caribou Gear

SD deer

My daughter did not draw here in NV this year. I picked her up a South Dakota youth deer tag. Next month we are heading to the southwest corner of the state to give it a shot and do some fishing and sight seeing. Can't wait!

My daughter did not draw here in NV this year. I picked her up a South Dakota youth deer tag. Next month we are heading to the southwest corner of the state to give it a shot and do some fishing and sight seeing. Can't wait!

The "Mentored" tag? That in my opinion is one of the best things our game managers do to get kids involved in hunting. Doe tags, so they can't be abused. Early, so nice and warm. We have one who is chomping at the bit, but are going to wait until next year.

No, the mentored tag is different. It's just a youth tag, statewide antlerless. September 9-January 16.

This November will be my first time deer hunting in the Black Hills; Wyoming side though. Trying to narrow down a few spots and really looking forward to it.

No, the mentored tag is different. It's just a youth tag, statewide antlerless. September 9-January 16.
Holy light bulb moment! I need to look into this a bit more. Even though my son(s) can/will shoot whitetails here, I think they'd get a kick out of doing it somewhere else. Thanks for the tip.

Holy light bulb moment! I need to look into this a bit more. Even though my son(s) can/will shoot whitetails here, I think they'd get a kick out of doing it somewhere else. Thanks for the tip.

I had to double check everything to be sure. OTC and $10. Statewide. I like western South Dakota, so its a good way to get out, do some sightseeing and maybe have a shot at getting a deer. We're going to camp at a reservoir, do some fishing for fish we don't have here, and there are a ton of different attractions that I like, let alone my girls. It will be the first time there for our 2 year old. Second for our older daughter and fourth for me I think.

I'm sure you guys know, but you need to have your tags before you get here. There are unlimited tags for archery and youth deer but you can't show up to a vendor and buy one over the counter as in other states. You still go through the application process online, then they mail you the tag. Good luck.

I'm sure you guys know, but you need to have your tags before you get here. There are unlimited tags for archery and youth deer but you can't show up to a vendor and buy one over the counter as in other states. You still go through the application process online, then they mail you the tag. Good luck.

We received her tag last week! Good to know about the future as well.

I was the only person in my group to draw a rifle tag this year but I had 2 points. The rest will be hunting with bows.

Good luck Craig!

One of my co-workers and his group drew pretty nice any deer tags with one point. Not enough people with two points applied and they dropped down. They are very happy.

Another group of friends did not draw Tha National Forest tag with three. They are not happy.

Good luck, Miller! We expect pictures. We're sending the boy to Mines in Rapid. You can take the kid out of SD, but, well, you know the rest...and apparently it gets carried on in the genes. Have a blast on that hunt!

My brothers, uncle, and I drew BH whitetail tags this year. We hunted in the south around Custer in 2009, but haven't been back since and are going to try the northern part this year. Does anyone have any good tips or things to cue in on without giving away your secret spots?

My daughter was able to get her first deer on private property through the CHAP program about 2 hours after we got camp set up Thursday. We talked to the farmer, got her permission slips, and started hunting. The family and I hiked into a GPA behind the CHAP property and hunted for about an hour. We then hit the road and went down the road a mile to the farmers other property. I looked out and saw deer in an abandoned wheat field adjacent to some dry corn and a small patch of sage all on the property.

We went around the corner and tried to get her a shot from just inside the fence, but it didn't work out. The bi-pod broke off of the stock. Plastic stock on a Mossberg 100. The bi-pod is a Harris that did not break. So it was a fumble with wind blowing in her face. She could not get shot before they went too far out of range.

We then went to another corner of the property and did a blind stalk over the hill. The deer got up and went into the sage. She had to use my backpack sitting straight up to get a shot. A few minutes passed as the deer were milling about. She was finally able to get herself steady enough to center the circle on the chest of the smaller doe and took the shot at about 200 yards.

Then she had problems reloading because I gave her another bullet from my pocket and forgot that as she was getting set up I gave her two. This caused another little fumble but the deer tipped over by then. Not 30 yards from the shot and 15 seconds.

My wife drove around to the corn field. I walked out and picked up the youngest daughter who then found a whitetail shed.

We gutless cleaned the deer and were back at the truck at 815. We have her in our big cooler and am just draining the water from the block ice. Camping and sight seeing and fishing through tomorrow.

Nice little mule doe. She was with another doe, 3 point, 4 point and forkie. I was hoping for a whitetail, but a bird in the hand...

Will get pictures up when home. Or I can email them to someone.

Good trip so far!

Last edited:
LOVED the youth/mentored season as my boys were growing up. We took full advantage of it for several years. If your going us "locals" ask you to concentrate on the whitetails vs the mulies as there should be ample opportunities for both. If your new or a first timer PM me and I can tell you of some areas that have been good to me in the black hills the last few years.

My daughter was able to get her first deer on private property through the CHAP program about 2 hours after we got camp set up Thursday. We talked to the farmer, got her permission slips, and started hunting. The family and I hiked into a GPA behind the CHAP property and hunted for about an hour. We then hit the road and went down the road a mile to the farmers other property. I looked out and saw deer in an abandoned wheat field adjacent to some dry corn and a small patch of sage all on the property.

We went around the corner and tried to get her a shot from just inside the fence, but it didn't work out. The bi-pod broke off of the stock. Plastic stock on a Mossberg 100. The bi-pod is a Harris that did not break. So it was a fumble with wind blowing in her face. She could not get shot before they went too far out of range.

We then went to another corner of the property and did a blind stalk over the hill. The deer got up and went into the sage. She had to use my backpack sitting straight up to get a shot. A few minutes passed as the deer were milling about. She was finally able to get herself steady enough to center the circle on the chest of the smaller doe and took the shot at about 200 yards.

Then she had problems reloading because I gave her another bullet from my pocket and forgot that as she was getting set up I gave her two. This caused another little fumble but the deer tipped over by then. Not 30 yards from the shot and 15 seconds.

My wife drove around to the corn field. I walked out and picked up the youngest daughter who then found a whitetail shed.

We gutless cleaned the deer and were back at the truck at 815. We have her in our big cooler and am just draining the water from the block ice. Camping and sight seeing and fishing through tomorrow.

Nice little mule doe. She was with another doe, 3 point, 4 point and forkie. I was hoping for a whitetail, but a bird in the hand...

Will get pictures up when home. Or I can email them to someone.

Good trip so far!
I am pretty sure you cannot leave the carcass on WIA or CHAP in South Dakota.

I am pretty sure you cannot leave the carcass on WIA or CHAP in South Dakota.

I did not see that in the regulations anywhere, talked to the farmer about it before hand, asked what we could do and he said as long as it wasn't in standing crops it was fine. Also talked to him later and let him know exactly where it was. He was not concerned and simply said the coyotes would eat good.

We had to do that because of us travelling and no other way to keep a deer in the cooler. We left a skinned piece of the udder and left that attached to the leg with the tag on it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back