PEAX Equipment

SD deer

https://gfp.sd.gov/wildlife/private-land/walk-in-must-know.aspx
Properly dispose of carcasses: Do not leave carcasses in the field or next to roads and parking areas of Walk-In Areas or any other public land. Field dressing (removal of entrails) is allowed

Thank you for that. I just checked in the hunting Atlas and finally found that rule. I'm OK. It's not against the specific CHAP rules and I talked to the landowner about it.

I had also expected a possibility of having to remove the animal whole and taking the carcass to the dump.

And keep in mind this was 1/4 mile from a road, behind a corn field and a wheat field, where it is not easily visible.

Last edited:
As a resident of SD I really wish they'd limit nr archery tags like any state that has a decent herd of deer. And the mentor tag thing is a joke. Let little kids have a centerfire rifle in Sept to shoot at deer when it's hot or there's people bow hunting or pheasant hunting. They should make the tag only good for the time rifle season is open for adults and the late season in January. Kinda wrecks bow hunting when I wanna sit my spots and theres been people in walking it for deer in October. And don't worry out of state guys. We have to wait a long time for the good tags in our own state too. I know people that waited 8 years for a muzzle loader tag and the same or more for a refuge tag as well. So you can imagine that when they even consider giving tags to nr in such a hard to draw area is kind of aggravating to the SD public.

Back