Yeti GOBOX Collection

SD deer

mtmiller

Looks like I will be visiting South Dakota in November with a couple buck tags in my pocket. Looking forward to it.

"A couple" huh? Congrats!

I don't hunt there. I just build points for funsies...

Wife and I drew mule deer west river. No Black Hills tags.

Thinking now we might buy antelope tags and take our youngest two boys out for that.

I drew two tags today Mellette Co. any whitetail and Black Hills Any Deer. Looks like my November is booked.

How'd you get more than one buck tag in the rifle draw mtnmiller? Unless you did several different seasons..

Few options for multiple buck tags. West River rifle, West River archery, Black Hills rifle.

We will archery hunt our rifle unit.

How'd you get more than one buck tag in the rifle draw mtnmiller? Unless you did several different seasons..

One thing I miss about SD; lots of deer tags. East River, West River, Hills and archery. Not sure about max, but if a guy gets lucky I think a person could draw 5 or 6 buck tags. I am sure residents can correct me.

One thing I miss about SD; lots of deer tags. East River, West River, Hills and archery. Not sure about max, but if a guy gets lucky I think a person could draw 5 or 6 buck tags. I am sure residents can correct me.

I miss that about SD too. When I was there you could take a buck on a West River archery tag, East River archery tag, West River rifle tag, East River rifle tag, and Black Hills tag. And I think the refuge deer tags were separate too. Then they added the statewide muzzleloader tag. I never did hunt that many tags in a season though but if you liked deer opportunities it wasn't a bad place to be at the time.

Here are SD resident options:
East River archery
West River archery
East River rifle
West River rifle
Black Hills rifle
Custer State Park rifle
Muzzelloader statewide
Refuge Deer with Muzzeloader

And it's not "pick one", you can have everyone in a single year if the draws work out. There was talk of going to the "pick one" option, but way to much money at stake, so the talk died down.

Last edited:
I only put in for points this year but am impressed with the drawing results only a week after the online application deadline. I am still sitting here waiting for North Dakota's drawing results that had a June 7th application deadline. Getting close to two months now.

Looks like I will be visiting South Dakota in November with a couple buck tags in my pocket. Looking forward to it.

Congrats. I was unsuccessful this year for Black Hills whitetails, but I should draw last year. I had a blast a couple years ago and really appreciated your insight. Please make sure you post pics like you have done in the past.

My daughter drew a West river any deer/rifle tag again as a SD college student. A wonderful benefit that SD does for it's students. And lucky for me she still enjoys my company and my packout help :) :)

Rifle goat tags are a draw deal here.

You bet, but just more possible tags a guy could have.

ETA: I see what you meant. I think the fall turkey tags are over the counter, but honestly don't know. This fall will be my first chance at them. Hold on, let me check. :)

ETAA: Ha! The area we have our any deer tags in has turkey tags with a near 100% draw. We will have archery deer, rifle deer, rifle antelope, and turkey(probably) this fall. One each apiece. I hunt with my wife. Gonna be a busy fall.

Last edited:
Love South Dakota! A favorite of mine for sure. I'm planning to cash in my Black Hills deer points next fall and take a buddy out who has never been west to hunt at all.

For a couple of Michigan boys it's beyond shocking the number of dandy bucks. In '13 I went & that trip was the first time in my life I let bucks walk... one that was bigger than anything I'd ever even seen while hunting just cuz I didn't want to let it stop. Ended up shooting a doe but didn't care; my son & I had the time of our lives. Gorgeous country.

Looking forward to the pics!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back